zircon

Orig. Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14329

* Your ReMixer name: Nekofrog

* Your real name : Justin Jones

* Your email address : justinjones84@gmail.com

* Your website : www.gamesarefun.com

* Your userid : 5151

* Name of game(s) arranged : Xenogears

* Name of individual song(s) arranged : Awakening (with one overlapping melody from Omen -- both songs share the same melody)

* Additional information about game : Composer is Yasunori Mitsuda, system is PS1,

* Your own comments about the mix: I first played Xenogears in 1998 when it came out (still have my copy :D ) and was enthralled. As time went on I learned to recognize its obvious shortcomings, which I think led me appreciate the game differently. It's not perfect by any means -- there's a lot I'd chop out of it -- but by and large it's enjoyable. The soundtrack pretty much makes the game for me.

I've always felt that "Awakening" and "Omen" were the standout tracks, so I wanted to take "Awakening" and apply to it the "this is my world, and I'm ready to take it back" feeling. The name of the remix is "Mechanical God |Create|Corrupt|Consume|" in reference to Deus (badass robot) as the creator, the corrupter, and eventually the consumer.

Tech talk: Recorded in Steinberg Nuendo with an Ibanez SZ520 into a PodXT Live processor. Drumkit From Hell used for the drums.

This is my second go at it, as the first was rejected based on technical aspects for the most part. I've refined it, eliminated all of the clipping that I could find, and threw in some bass now that I have one. Drums have been boosted as per request.

Enjoy.

The original sub of this mix was only a borderline NO for me because of production issues. I loved the creative interpretation of the sources tunes, which, despite their popularity, are treated differently here than in any other mix on OCR. In this new version, the is noticeably improved from the original submission, as is the tweaked ending, which was the only aspect of the arrangement I didn't like last time around. I'm really glad Nekofrog was open to constructive criticism and decided to go back to this and resub!

YES

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Xenogears_psf.rar - 216 "Awakening"

I was good on this last time. I'm good on it this time.

I definitely feel the criticism on the highs and overall volume level. SnappleMan would have some good tips on how to more properly produce something like this for your future works. Also, the copy I DLed from Putfile cuts off a bit abruptly during the fadeout of the last note, so maybe we can get a fix on that.

Otherwise, awesome arrangement, Justin! Never knew you could bring it musically until this sub, but keep bringing it.

YES

• 1 month later...

Pretty good. I didn't listen to the original version, so I don't know how bad the production was on that one, but whatever you did is good enough for a pass here. Could be a bit more balanced with the treble as Larry and Vinnie said, but it's not too bad overall. Good transformation of the original track on the arrangement side. I dig.

YES