DKC2 --- a brambles mix

kwak

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DYOCPZ7P

hey, started working on this mix this weekend, very unfinished but thought I'd see what you guys think of it so far. It's the brambles level music, 3 guitars(acoustic, mic'd amp, and direct into mixer), drums programed through Reason, no bass yet, and may try to put in some vocals. Pretty simple, trying to go for a dryish production sound. If you are a bassist and would be interested in helping me out, that'd be cool. I have a bass at home but I won't be there until the end of May, and I'd rather use a real bass than a synthesized one.

Besides no bass and the drums(basically a loop so far) I'm pretty happy with how it's arranged up until about 1:40. Hopefully it's clear what the acoustic is suppose to be(that bit that comes in at about 0:10 on the original dkc2 track), if not I can attempt to do something a little different. Gonna try and make the second half build up to a more 'intense' sound, but I'm not sure where I'm going to go with it. Any suggestions or ideas would be great, and if you notice any problems with the mix so far let me know.

I remember this source. Cool.

As for the arrangement, it gets a little repetitive. You've got the repeated part loudest, and only the quieter background chords change. Separate them with EQ and raise the level of the changing stuff. Also, the panning is a little weird, you've got the acoustic guitar dead in the center, and everything melodic happening around it. It gets unbalanced at times. Not sure what I would do to fix that.

It should also be tighter, it seems to meander around the tempo of the drums a little. The sound is a little sparse, tho the drums and the lack of bass might be the culprits there. I'm really no fan of those drum samples, especially the ride or hihat, whatever you've used. Too long. Also, consider using a strings pad or something to even out the soundscape at times. For a relaxing track, maybe more than with aggressive ones, you need a balanced soundscape, both in frequencies and panning.

However, this does sound like it could be great, but it needs to be tighter, more balanced, and more alive.

I agree with rho.

definatly needs to be tighter in the drums and definatly needs some sort of bass!

maybe slice up the drums (or quantize, sounds off)and get them in sync with the tempo. the acoustic in the beginning needs some ajustment and definatly need some more variation on the scource. it sounds pretty clean otherwise, could use some strings or pad to set the mood for what kind of song it is.

in conclusion, tighten it up. you got yourself a good wip

Added bass and made some other changes. Will use a real bass when I get the chance but this will do for now, haven't done much to the drums, and added/changed some guitar parts. Used a bit from the lava level as well. Still pretty unfinished, but let me know what you think of it so far.