*NO* Midnight Resistance '(no title)'

Liontamer

Gentlemen, here's another attempt at a mix of a game for the Sega Genesis that had some pretty cool tracks to it. I havent seen any other mixes for this decent game.. so I figured I'd give it a shot. Theres not much variation from the original.. I DIDN’T NOT just take a midi file and add new sounds.. the melody I thought was pretty catchy..and I thought it was worth a try..nonetheless whatever your decision I hope you guys enjoy it as my last 2 submissions failed to make it..lets see if this one makes it thru thanks..

---------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to title your mixes.

Strong source tune choice. Midnight Resistance, where have you been all my life???

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=182 - 01 "Flood of Power (BGM 1)"

Cover-ish, but I'm liking the treatment here, giving the source tune a much more downbeat feel. I'd say this was your most polished-sounding submission yet, Jose.

The beat patterns had some decent fills, but felt repetitive overall. Along with that, the dynamic curve of the track was pretty flat.

At only 2:18-long though, the arrangement only scratched the surface of what this tune is capable of. Honestly, at that length, nothing should be repeating itself for the composition to be fully fleshed-out and developed. More dynamic contrast and further exploration & interpretation of the ideas here would get this in a lot stronger contention.

Please keep working on this one, bro, and use the resources and feedback available here. I'm loving the base here, and I'd love to see you get this posted in some form.

NO (rework/resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Great source. I'm totally unfamiliar with this game.

Fairly conservative take, but I loved the mood being created here. It's a light techno-electro track that drifts by like a dream. Thought the subtle additions like the arps, piano, and pads gave this enough character to stand out from the original. Also some new melody stuff going on at 0:44. I agree with Larry that it doesn't feel expansive enough given the repetition and short length. Another original section somewhere would help round out the song.

I love the clarity of this, I think you did a good job with separating the instruments. My biggest criticism on the production is that a lot of the instruments sound muted, and it robs much of the energy this song could have. I'd especially like to hear some upper frequencies restored to the lead to lend it more presence. (It's possible the heavy reverb might be hurting that too). With the case of the drums, the solution might be layering them with drums that has more bite and snap. The snare in particular.

I love what you have so far and I'd be real disappointed if you didn't revisit this song, Jose. Don't let ol' Vinnie down! :-P

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this source is pretty hot. :D

Not a bad remix. Can we get a longer version? I'd like to hear some more expansion. This thing clocks in under 3 minutes; I feel like you could do a lot more. You should also thing about changing up the lead once in a while, have it trade off a little. Some more dynamics in the arrangement would be great. The place you end could be the perfect lead-in to a soft section.

NEED MOAR

NO, resub/rework