FF6 WIP: Fuga Kefka

I wrote a fugue using Kefka's theme as the subject (link here). I don't think it's long enough to stand alone as a remix, but I feel it's a good start. I will either write a toccata before it, or extend the coda into the chord sequence of Dancing Mad before returning to the fugue to close.

In any case, let me know what you think -- especially you music theory people out there. I'm out of town for a while, but will be back in a week to check messages and advice. Oh, and while there's very little production work done, it's playing back through the GPO/Kontakt player in Finale 2008.

Sounds good, lots of imitation. The only discrepancy I can hear that makes it sound un-Bach-like is the lack of secondary dominants and other chromatic chords, so it's very modal. For example, the retransition to the dominant F minor at 0:40 sounds out of place because there was no C7 chord, just a passing E natural over an A. Other than that it's really intricately arranged. Good work.

Did you get the title from my piece? :D

Arrangement is definitely good but IMO it could do with a bit more humanization, it still feels a bit rigid (though this might be because of the sample quality rather than the sequencing). You're lucky rubato's and the like weren't all that popular yet back then :D

The reverb feels..weird, it sounds like you selected a room reverb with 100% wet ratio, I think it could stand to be a bit drier.