Guide to "solo keyboarding" the pitch wheel in FL studio

Solo Pitch Wheel Guide

2 semi tones up, 12 down

untitled-8.jpg

• First you need to make a folder in your computer where you installed FL studio. C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 7\Data\Projects\Templates\Minimal\Empty Pitch Wheel 12 2. That's what I used.

untitled-9.jpg

• Now you should open up the .nfo file with notepad and type something into it then save it in the same file.
  • Now open one of the Icon.png files from another starting template folder, C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 7\Data\Projects\Templates\Minimal\Club basic\Icon.png for example. This will be the picture that shows up next to your template description.

untitled-10.jpg

• Now go to remote control omni pitch and type this in - (IfL(Input,0.3)*Input*(0.5-(0.1/3))/0.3)+(IfGE(Input,0.3)*(Input-0.3)*((0.25/3)+(0.1/3))/0.7)+(IfGE(Input,0.3)*(0.5-(0.1/3)))
  • Now make sure to set the pitch bend range in the channel settings to 12 semi tones.
  • Also note that the extreme pitch changing downward doesn't start until a little past the center point. This makes vibrato easier.

Thanks and feel free to ask any questions.

Edit, Better is (IfL(Input,0.3)*Input*(0.5-(0.1/3))/0.3)+(IfGE(Input,0.3)*(Input-0.3)*((0.25/3)+(0.1/3))/0.7)+(IfGE(Input,0.3)*(0.5-(0.1/3)))

I noticed that the previous method has a pretty rough middle section. This should be better.

(IfL(Input,0.3)*Input*(0.5-(0.1/3))/0.3)+(IfGE(Input,0.3)*(Input-0.3)*((0.25/3)+(0.1/3))/0.7)+(IfGE(Input,0.3)*(0.5-(0.1/3)))

I have a question!

Isn't this the only thing you need to do?

flpitchkx8.png

[fl chan's ahoge is pointing at the thing]

Making a template and a complicated formula just seems like... a waste of time? Sorry. I've done plenty of decent pitchy solo keyboarding in FL studio before and I've never needed something that complex ever.

One thing I just learned though is how to use FL Chan as a pointer. Now she's actually useful :3

Yes that will work for equal pitch shifting in each direction. You can select the number of semi tones by changing the number above the pointer.

However, by using the method illustrated in this guide, you can have a different number up than down, I like 2 up 12 down.

Of course you could have 12 up and 12 down and have the dexterity to slide the pitch wheel exactly where you want it, but the 2 up 12 down method has an iota of a learning curve.

They line up precisely with 12 and 2. Ignore all the custom template stuff and just look at the formula. It's a basic point and slope equation from algebra I. Nothing fancy here.

(IfL(Input,0.3)*Input*(0.5-(0.1/3))/0.3)+(IfGE(Input,0.3)*(Input-0.3)*((0.25/3)+(0.1/3))/0.7)+(IfGE(Input,0.3)*(0.5-(0.1/3)))

The IfL command is If Lower. The IfGE is If Greater. Then there are two cases:

case one slightly below the origin (for vibrato as explained earlier) all the way up a slope that reaches exactly 2 semi tones on full extension (assuming the channel settings is set to 12 semi tones for pitch bending.

Case two slightly below the origin and below down all the way to -12 semi tones.