Never Saw This Coming - Comix Zone

DusK

Firstly, I should probably introduce myself. I'm Dustin, and my musical talents are geared mainly towards rock music. I'm pretty new to remixing, but not so new to video game music in general.

With a little help from a friend, I am working on a series of Sega Genesis rock tribute self-release albums, and I'd like feedback on a song I've created. I've been thinking about submitting some of the tracks I do here, this possibly being one of them.

The song is called "Never Saw This Coming", and it's a remix (or remake) of Scene 1-1 from Comix Zone, originally composed by Howard Drossin.

You can hear the song on my MySpace Music page. Lemme know what you guys think!

• 2 weeks later...

Very little in this remix has any stereo presence, it sounds like it's mono for most of the track. Not good. Panning is one way of accomplishing stereo effects, then there's stereo reverbs, really slight left-right delays, and the ultimate trick for guitars - record it again, hardpanned left, pan the one you've got right. Make sure they're both tight, and you've got yourself a lot of stereo.

Very similar to source material (which btw is more stereo than the remix). Not gonna get on OCR like this, needs more original stuff/interpretation. Add a solo, change speed, key signature, chord sequence, bassline, rhythm, add a kantele solo, do something more than just record and update the sounds. That's what OCR does.

Other than that, this isn't bad, but it's not particularily interesting, sorry man. It needs more drive, more presence, more weight, more attitude, more something. I bet one of the more rock/guitar-oriented remixers/wip reviewers would have more useful advice tho.

Not much, but not bad.

edit: ten more minutes, dude, ten more minutes...