Beyond Good and Evil 2

atmuh

Am I the only one expecting the events of Nights 2 to repeat themselves?

1) Large expectations from the die-hard fans

2) Game is released

3) Game fails to meet impossibly high expectations

4) Game bombs more than the first game did

5) Fans forsake 2nd game and go on dry-humping first game as they did before

BTW, I haven't played either Nights nor BG&E, so this is just an outsiders point of view.

This could happen, but at least to me, it became extraordinarily clear that Nights 2 was going to be a failure well before it was released. I never played the first one, so I don't have any expectations to cloud my judgment. It just looked like standard Sega of the last few years: underdeveloped, under-tested and under-budgeted.

If the trailer of BG&E 2 is any indication, that game will not suffer from the same problems.

Am I the only one expecting the events of Nights 2 to repeat themselves?

1) Large expectations from the die-hard fans

2) Game is released

3) Game fails to meet impossibly high expectations

4) Game bombs more than the first game did

5) Fans forsake 2nd game and go on dry-humping first game as they did before

BTW, I haven't played either Nights nor BG&E, so this is just an outsiders point of view.

I'd like to think that this is going to be wrong. Most fans of BG&E I know aren't nearly as adamant about it as the Nights fans were. Yes, many BG&E fans I know, myself included will say the original was a great game worthy of note, but I've run into a much more subdued crowd about it. I can't speak for the whole of the internets (who can?), but in my experience there aren't a lot of rabid fanboys of the game, just fans. And definitely not the type to dry-hump the game. XD

Of course, to be fair, you're correct. There are going to be high expectations, but I don't think any of us are expecting a revolution in design. A lot of BG&E fans would probably be happy with some refinement to a "more of the same" formula. And considering Ubisoft isn't Sonic Team (a bunch of has-beens, really), they probably will put attention to this game just to get the brand out there more.

Right now, I'm generally optimistic about this game. Details are scarce, but I'm looking forward to it.