*NO* Mega Man X 'Robot Highway'

Liontamer

LongestSoloEver

Dean DiMarzo

longestsoloever@hotmail.com

http://www.myspace.com/longestsoloever or http://www.youtube.com/longestsoloever

user no. 22247

This is a remix of the opening stage music from Mega Man X on the SNES.

I was planning to to a guitar-based remix of this song for a while, and just when I decided to finally start work on it, I broke my wrist. So instead, I turned to my synths. I ended up liking how it came out, and even after I was out of the cast, I kept it as a synth-based song. Hope you guys like it, this is my first submission here on OCRemix, and also my first public attempt at a synth-based song.

-Dean

--------------------------------------------------------------

One of my absolute favorite VGM tunes, it always had great energy.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=mmx - "Intro Stage" (mmx-02.spc)

There's some personalization here in the arrangement approach for sure, including some cool synth soloing, but the overall structure and feel was too similar to the original.

The drums were OK, but the overall energy level of the track was decidedly lower than what the writing implied. None of the sounds really had any power to them, and the textures were on the empty side.

Nonetheless, this was a very solid effort for your first synth-based track. Believe me, it's way better than most first attempts of this nature.

I'd use the ReMixing and Works forums at OCR if you aren't doing so already to learn more about your tools and get more fan feedback on what could be improved.

NO

Pretty cool, but those drums that sound cool when the start off end up sounding dry and a little too exposed in the soundscape. Some light reverb might help. Interesting stuff with the lead's pitch bends and harmonies. The bassline is too deep and rumbly and ends up sounding like a warbly drone. Try to define it a little more. Also, I'm really not a fan of the hard panning in that tom drum at 2:17. It cuts through the soundscape in a bad way and really exposes itself.

All in all though, certainly not a bad arrangement here. THere are some great ideas worth further exploring. Keep at it! You've got the touch!

NO

I for one did not like the drums. They felt a bit weak and could definitely use some compression and reverb to mesh the sounds together. There's some clipping at the drums that is very audible the last few seconds that's probably a result of pushing the volume of the drums to hard, take some time to explore a compressor and this should no longer be an issue for you. Cool synth usage, especially the pitch automation and soloing. I did however think the synths were a little on the bland side.

I agree with Larry that the arrangement structure and feel is too similar to the original, even though you have some original ideas.

I recommend visiting #ocrwip on irc.enterthegame.com for some live feedback for your tracks in the future. Nice, helpful people. Good luck with your next submission!

NO