No Sound in Cakewalk. Help!

I just got Cakewalk's Sonar Producer Edition, and it seems pretty awesome.. except for the fact that I cant hear ANYTHING coming from my speakers. I did the most basic thing and opened up a sample project and pressed play, and i saw it go over the notes, but no sounds! And just to make sure my speakers were not acting up, I opened up a song on Windows Media Player and it played loud and clear. I feel rather stupid for asking this question, but can anyone help me hear? (pun intended)

The thing you have to keep in mind is that people who use Sonar (or any DAW) usually have more than one audio device to use with it. This means that you have to go in and manually configure it to use the proper audio drivers you want. Go into the Options tab, and then go to Audio Setup (or whatever it says) and you'll see list of drivers. Be aware of which drivers you want to use. Once you pick the proper driver, click ok, you'll have to restart Sonar, just close it for now. Open the settings window for that driver (if you're using onboard audio, open the volume properties) and make sure all the settings are good (wave out isn't muted, recording is set to line in or mic depending on how you want it, etc. and then open up Sonar again. If you're STILL not getting audio, go back into the Options menu, under the Audio Setup/Driver section go to the advanced tab, and make sure you set the driver type to MME if using onboard audio, or WDM or ASIO if you have those corresponding cards and drivers. Then restart Sonar again and check. If STILL no audio, run the Wave Profiler or Audio Profiler, this should find something automatically that will give you audio, just go in afterwards and configure it.

You trying to use General MIDI output? Playing GM in Sonar is weird, I find you have to select MME drivers (WDM is the default). Then once you exit and come back, Microsoft GM Synth (or something) should be available as an audio output.

Otherwise, you have to patch MIDI tracks to corresponding synths or samplers for them to work.