Music for a Wedding Reception

jmr

So, about 5 minutes ago, I told a local "dj" that I'd fill in for him and take care of the music for two upcoming weddings.

The thing is... I haven't been to a wedding reception since, like, forever, and I REALLY don't know that much when it comes to what music the average person listens to these days, much less what would be appropriate for a wedding reception.

If anyone could name a few of the more common wedding songs, and any other songs that would be appropriate (from OCR or otherwise), I'd greatly greatly GREATLY appreciate it.

Ask the wedding planner. It,s the best help I can give you, depending on the party they may want different genres, and it should be up to the wedding party to make that call.

The impression I was getting from the guy I was speaking to was that I would pretty much have free reign over what was played. He said that he has 2 - 3 CDs of stuff he regularly uses at weddings around here, but other than that, I have to decide.

Still, getting in touch with the families is a good idea. I don't really know all of the who, whats, wheres and whens yet, but I'll be speaking with the guy again this evening, so I'll find out then.

I don't pay that much attention to music at wedding dances, but I've been to probably 3 weddings a year for the past 5 years, so I can remember a few songs and can probably come up with more if I think long enough.

Kool and the Gang - Celebrate, Funky Stuff

Commodores - Brick House

Jackson Five - I Want You Back, ABC

Sister Sledge - We Are Family

Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music

I was just speaking to the dj I'll be filling in for, and it turns out that these weddings are not until mid July and early August, so I've got plenty of time to collect together some songs. Plus, there's one coming up soon that the dj will be in town for, so he said that I can stop by for a half hour or so, familiarize myself with his equipment, and generally get a feel for the job.

I appreciate all of the suggestions so far, guys. Thanks, and keep them coming!