Final Egg (final zone sonic 1)

Hmm... I have to say, that's pretty catchy. Honestly, after listening to it I'm kind of surprised it was only 2:51; it felt longer than that. Of course, that might just be me wanting it to be longer.

The intro feels too sudden, though. That really threw me off a bit, and I wasn't able to really get into it for a few seconds; you might want to bring the beat in gradually. I like the piano/harpsichord work you have going on. You might want to think about using some of that for an intro.

Now that I think about it, this would sound really bitchin' with some of Sixto's sick riffs on top of it; consider asking him for a solo section to flush this baby out a bit.

Good stuff; really high-quality arrangement, IMO. Add some polish, and I'd say you're golden.

The overall quality is fairly high, but if you're gonna submit to OCR I've got a few concerns about the track.

Source is definitely there, but there's not much interpretation to it. You may want to rewrite a lot of the repetition to be different versions of the source and original content deriveed from it rather than repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition... The progression is pretty much the same as the source, looped at times, but the order is pretty much the same. This is more of a remake than a ReMix.

Also, the hihats are ticking in my ears. A lot of people use earphones and headphones to listen to music, and ticking hihats can get annoying. I'd consider using another hihat, possibly a shaker or other high-range rhythm instrument for it. At the very least, I'd try to EQ away the worst ticking.

It's got a great sound, but after the first minute, we want to hear something else. Either a different chord progression, a different soundscape, something different. Changing up the soundscape would help with the repetitive nature of the track, but you do need changes in harmony, intensity (to a lesser extent, considering the genre) for it to remain interesting throughout.

Also, the intro needs work. I recommend examining the intro in the source and reworking it into something a measure or two long, possibly using that for the ending as well - the fade-out feels like a cop-out. It's not as much a problem as the intro is, and fading out does work fairly well.

All in all, this is a pretty good track, but it's too repetitive and not interpretive enough for OCR imo. Yet. I have no doubt you're able to rework the repetition into something interesting. Good luck with it!

thanks for the feedback guys. yeah actually when I think about it, this really did start out as a straight out remake of the original track, hence the sudden intro. so I guess we'll work on making another intro. I can also see what you mean about the hi-hats and the repetition. Time to put some polish in this thing, hopefully we'll have an updated version for you guys to listen to by next week. Thanks for the feedback! And we wouldn't mind more either! Also, collaborating with sixto would be pretty cool, I'll def. consider it.

Wow, I really like this.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[x] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

STRUCTURE

[x] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[x] Too repetitive

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

So yeah, unfortunately there's not nearly enough interpretation to make it to ocr, and it's pretty repetitive--I have to wait way too long for what you do at 1:44. Also, your sound set is pretty static, I'd like to hear a change to, perhaps, more electronic instruments more closely aligned with hip hop. I don't mean to scrap the instruments you have now, because those are good--maybe when you start a new verse, go to the electric instruments for a change. The mix seems so long because of the repetition.

Now, this would be awesome for the end of a sonic fan movie or fan game or something like that. But the 15 seconds in, I was totally expecting somebody to start rapping--this is totally the instrumental track to a rap piece. I would LOVE to hear this turn into a rap remix--it would sound SO HOT. Get the chorus with the epic orchestral sound, widdle the texture down into a lighter electronic sound, and vary it up a bit for the verses... I don't know, I'd love to hear this as rap. I know a rapper who's been wanting to do a sonic remix too... but whatever. This is really cool and I'd love to hear it become rap, despite how much I dislike the genre as a whole.