Am online, but can't browse with Firefox or IE

Sole Signal

I'm pretty sure this happened after Firefox did an automatic update. I can still log on with AIM and access my FTP site through Filezilla, but trying to browse with Firefox or IE gives me "Firefox/IE can't find the server at ____."

I've got all firewalls and virus software off, and I looked through my router settings and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I restarted twice, no dice. I looked through network connections and it says that the connection is good with no problems. I have no idea what's wrong. :? Any ideas?

It could be a problem with your ISP. I had a similar issue happen with FireFox last year, where I could log on, but I couldn't go anywhere. It was fixed a couple hours later, and the cause was a cable line that had been accidentally damaged elsewhere.

Try calling up your ISP, and see if anything's up. That, or try checking any FireFox plug-ins you have to see if a setting got changed (like with No Script).

Take a look at the browsers connection settings as Falchion suggested, being able to ping a site but not browse it shows that the problem is likely with the browser(connection settings) or the data being transferred(ie. filtered or blocked).

Also, if you have IE7 you will have a "Diagnose Connection problems" under the tools menu, run that and see what happens.

Oooook. So I got frustrated and started up Kaspersky to make sure the firewall was off. It was, still no success. On a whim I turned turned the firewall from inside Kasperky on (first time I've ever touched that setting) and lo and behold, I can now browse again. :? Whatever, I'm happy. Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions! :)