*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'star.mp3'

djpretzel

are these 22khz samples? why does this track sound so dry and mechanical... oh well. Good original stuff over the starman theme, nice laid back feel. But this is way too monotonous for a yes. the same 2 chords over and over and over. this needs a bridge section or something to keep it more interesting. this is a step in the right direction, it just needs to go all way.

no

This is like white chicken meat: Dry. Really dry. Well, it's not so bad once the ghosty synths come in, 'cause they sort of hide the dryness of the rest of the mix. But it's still quite dry. I DO like the synths that come in at 1:27. The drums' frequencies could be upped a bit. I dunno. See, here's the thing. It's a really short song, so either it needs to be spectacular and still short, or it needs to be really varied given the lack of source material. This doesn't quite cut it in my book. But my book hasn't been published yet, so:

NO

D

"Star in my pants" - hah!

Remixing the star theme is quite a challenge, after all, it's hardly a theme, it's more of a soundbite. Given the lack of source material, a mix would have to contain a disproportionate amount of improv versus the original melody, and this doesn't quite do that. The notes derived from the theme are very repetitive and tiresome, but the coinciding ambience and instrumentation serve well as a counterpart - they just need to be emphasized more as opposed to the piggy-back lead. The surrounding elements are quality, please work on extending them and fleshing them out as a whole, because this mix is presently lifeless.

NO

And in the future, please adhere to the submission guidelines when sending in a mix.