*NO* Kirby's Dream Land 3 'Setting Out'

Liontamer

contact info-------

Remixer Name: GK

submission information---------

Name of Game arranged: Kirby's Dreamland 3 (SNES)

Name of song arranged: Sorry, I couldn't locate it, but its the 3 or so song you'll hear booting up Kirby 3 for the SNES. Its the song from the file-select screen.

Link to soundtrack: http://www.zophar.net/download.php?file=/zsnes/spc/KDL3.rar (zophar says its got it in SPC format)

Blurb: Kirby's Dreamland 3 is one of my favorite game soundtracks. I think every track on there is golden. I'm not really sure why I picked this one though, when I had so many to choose from. Anyway, simplicity was the mindset this time around.

Enjoy.

-GK

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dunno how you're gonna get the substance you need from a 5-second track, but let's see:

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=kdl3 - "File Select" (kdl3-03.spc)

Arrangement-wise the opening brass samples from :00-:06 was too liberal an interpretation of the brass from the source tune, so I didn't count it. Still, I liked the rhythms there.

The textures were on the empty side though. The drumkit brought in at :27 ended up being thin, leaving the background sounding empty. You may need to add something in the back to function more like a pad.

Meanwhile the other instrumentation sounded fairly lo-fi and poorly separated. Meanwhile the source tune was marginalized in the background the whole time as the bassline while you built original writing on top. 1:08's section was primarily original composition, and so was 1:35's section. And that was basically the dealbreaker issue regarding the level of source usage; the source tune was never the focus. You need to read the Submissions Standards more closely to avoid falling with those issues. The ending cut off abruptly at 4:20, by the way.

Ultimately, I think you did a decent job crafting an original, groove-based track in the style of KDL3, but you ended up going off the rails in terms of making the source usage dominant and identifiable. When you can reign things in, try again. Otherwise, try another theme entirely. You seem to have a good base of skills, but need to keep the interpretation more grounded.

NO

Blurb: Kirby's Dreamland 3 is one of my favorite game soundtracks. I think every track on there is golden. I'm not really sure why I picked this one though, when I had so many to choose from.

Yeah, KDL3 has a ton of tracks that could provide you with more source material than this one, but let's see what you did with it.

Okay, I really don't have anything else to add to above. The original material that is actually pretty good but is way too much of the track. From the source, you have five seconds of brass playing two notes, bass playing a short melody, and percussion. That's a very small amount of source material, and the original stuff in the mix majorly overshadows it. You didn't even mess with the bass melody. There should be more source material and more interpretation of said source material, both of which could be helped by picking a more substantial source than the file select tune. Not saying it'd be impossible to get a mix of this track on the site, but it'd just be a lot easier with a different one.

Production crits: lots of thin textures and overall pretty poor sounds that aren't used very well. I do really like a couple of the sound choices, though, like the whistly siren synth that starts bursts at 1:11.

NO

God I love the Kirby soundtracks. Too bad I don't have the patience to tackle the highly melodic and major (not minor!? WTF!?) ones.

So yeah, the important things have been pointed out. There isn't much arrangement to speak of and it's not a surprise with a 5 second source.

What you have here is quite good but it's not an arrangement up to our standards. Try choosing another source and you'll have a much better chance of getting accepted.

My production crits are pretty much the same as CHz's and Larry's so I'm not going to waste time writing them down. Good luck with your next submission!

NO