Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Emerald Hill Zone' - Feedback Please

WillRock

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Generic/cliche sound choices

[X] Drums have no energy

STRUCTURE

[X] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

I like the mix, I don't like the production. Some parts stick a bit too close to source where others spin off into their own tangent, but this is more of a stylistic choice than a problem, none of the sections really stuck out badly.

In the second stanza, there's a weird warpy instrument that really ruins the intro. It has no place along side the instrumentation of the rest of the song. Overall it matches the instrumentation of the original song fairly well, stepping slightly out of the 8-bit box with some effects. I personally would have liked to see some more space between this mix and the original, but this doesn't break the song.

I see what you were shooting for in the ending, but there's no foundation for it. It worked for the game, but it won't fly in a remix. Add a transition and extend the ending theme a bit, or scrap it and start over with the ending.