Alex Kidd in Miracle World 'The Tale of Alex Kidd'

Gyrick

With the recent release of Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Wii Virtual Console, I decided to work on a remix I started two years ago, and left it dormant for a while. It's an orchestrated medley of several songs from AKiMW, including: Level Start, Above Ground Level, Underwater Level, and Motorcycle. I plan on adding the theme of the Rock-Paper-Scissors battle, and a theme that well tell the outcome of cede match. I hope you like it, and critiques are welcome.

http://gyrick.googlepages.com/Gyrick-TheTaleofAlexKidd.mp3

It started off good, but when the pizzicato strings come in, it just sounds... well, bad. The first two minutes sound ok otherwise, altho they do get a little repetitive, and you could use some more melody in it. High strings, the violin from the end of the track, or a woodwind or two, something to make it more than just pretty chords.

Those snare rolls are horrible. In fact, most of your percussion is subpar. See if you have any other samples to use. Also, the drive in the track is in the pizzicato strings, and they don't sound particularily good. Also, you could use more lows. More bass.

You've got very hard transitions. The arrangement doesn't sound like it's a medley to me, mostly because I don't know the source tunes. I did a quick check, and recognized enough. Fix the transitions, and it should be a more coherent remix. You've got some good backing tracks, good writing. I hope that's not ripped from source.

Production is okay, imo. You could use a little panning, especially in the end. Dynamics need some work; the track gets kind'a empty sounding at times (e.g. ending, around 3:00). Consider adding something to play there. You're also having the opposite problem at time, it gets too even, too thick, too similar for too long. You need to vary stuff more. You've got legato strings from around 0:30 to just before 3:00. You need some variation here. Drop them all an octave, have them play shorter notes, something.

Overall pretty impressive, but it's not realistic sounding, and it's still a stretch from being OCR-level material. It sounds like you could make it OCR-level material tho. Good luck with it.