Dragon Warrior 'Heroic Journey'

First notes had a very synthy sound due to their weak bleating attack. The arrangement is pretty but empty at times, and makes a few too many stops on the way. Timpani rolls are also pretty abundant compared to the number of timpani strikes in the track. EQing is a little on the weak side, probably due to the samples.

I also got no sense of where the track was heading. It was heading up, and then it stopped, did something, and started heading up again. And stopped. Then it did something, and stopped again. And rose. And stopped. It needs more direction. there's also a bit of dissonance at aroun 1:45, but I don't mind that as muchy as the other issues I've mentioned.

I remember this source from somewhere, but it took me until the flute at the end to recognize it. That's about as much source comment I'll give you atm.

Either it's copy-pasted from source (which I don't know), or you've done some nice writing. Ending sucks, fading out orchestral works just doesn't work well. It also implies something about the source/interpretation ratio, but I'm too tired to care. Overall, it had an okay sound, and it could certainly turn out great, but it'll take a sample upgrade, a writing upgrade (such as transitions, wider range on the writing, counterpoint, overall more elaborate stuff), and a mix upgrade. Don't let that stop you, it's just one step of the way.

First notes had a very synthy sound due to their weak bleating attack. The arrangement is pretty but empty at times, and makes a few too many stops on the way. Timpani rolls are also pretty abundant compared to the number of timpani strikes in the track. EQing is a little on the weak side, probably due to the samples.

I also got no sense of where the track was heading. It was heading up, and then it stopped, did something, and started heading up again. And stopped. Then it did something, and stopped again. And rose. And stopped. It needs more direction. there's also a bit of dissonance at aroun 1:45, but I don't mind that as muchy as the other issues I've mentioned.

I remember this source from somewhere, but it took me until the flute at the end to recognize it. That's about as much source comment I'll give you atm.

Either it's copy-pasted from source (which I don't know), or you've done some nice writing. Ending sucks, fading out orchestral works just doesn't work well. It also implies something about the source/interpretation ratio, but I'm too tired to care. Overall, it had an okay sound, and it could certainly turn out great, but it'll take a sample upgrade, a writing upgrade (such as transitions, wider range on the writing, counterpoint, overall more elaborate stuff), and a mix upgrade. Don't let that stop you, it's just one step of the way.

I stated in my original post what the source music is and that it is not fully composed yet. Obviously I don't intend to end it on a fadeout. There will not be a sample upgrade. These samples are fine. The writing will be upgraded, as I said I've not finished composing it.

I've worked on the transitions some and added a bit more composition, already. Here is a newer version, if you are interested. http://pwatts14.googlepages.com/dragonwarrior.mp3

• 4 years later...