Window's Vista Emulator

Broken

I have a question for anyone who is using Vista (home edition premium in particular.) Does this "Old OS emulator" compatability fix that was implemented actually work? I was looking for a new desktop today at BestBuy and I was discussing downgrading my purchase to XP but the representative showed me this new option which was apparently recently implemented in the newest SP that allows Vista to emulate the older windows systems to ameliorate software issues with some programs.

Being a member of OCR, of course I am skeptical. So, has anyone had any experience with this new feature?

For the record, compatibility mode doesn't emulate anything, it just gives you access to libraries and functions that have been removed or changed in Vista along with few tweaks that have been known to cause issues.

You won't need it for every program, a good number of WinXP programs will still work with out any problems well others still need a little help getting going. However, because of some of the new security measures put into vista to keep user level programs out of places they shouldn't be (like the kernel), Compatibility mode will not help every program. In those cases, most companies have put out new versions for Vista.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

Okay, thanks for the info, Phil. I was wondering how this worked. Well, it looks like I'll just fold and let them keep Vista on my machine rather than ask to have my machine downgraded.

I can't think of too many applications that I use that won't work on Vista.

Be careful with BestBuy though, they have a history of screwing the customer, like selling services that are done by the manufacture or selling Office 2k7 for Linux.

For me, BestBuy is the last place I would look for a computer, I do mean the last, and I would never touch geek squad with a 10 foot poll. Its not just the stories (search bestbuy on consumerist.com) its actually being there and hearing "advice" and "suggestions" and it scares me that they do such crappy things to customers.

My suggestion would be go to the manufacture (HP, Dell, Compaq, whatever) and buy it direct. You won't have to worry about being sold useless software or services...well to many at least...and generally speaking there won't be a fight on who handles warranty work.

Be careful with BestBuy though, they have a history of screwing the customer, like selling services that are done by the manufacture or selling Office 2k7 for Linux.

For me, BestBuy is the last place I would look for a computer, I do mean the last, and I would never touch geek squad with a 10 foot poll. Its not just the stories (search bestbuy on consumerist.com) its actually being there and hearing "advice" and "suggestions" and it scares me that they do such crappy things to customers.

My suggestion would be go to the manufacture (HP, Dell, Compaq, whatever) and buy it direct. You won't have to worry about being sold useless software or services...well to many at least...and generally speaking there won't be a fight on who handles warranty work.

That or just get it built by Prophet of Mephisto here at OCR.