Chrono Cross 'Scenic Voyage' (Another World Mix)

hey, just a chilled voyage another world mix, A section quite happy with probably won't change.. B section is not how i want it yet, it could easily change... about 40% done atm i guess?

http://www.users.on.net/~terminal/scenic_voyage_remix.mp3

all comments appreciated.

there are parts of this i absolutely love and can't stop listening to it :P

update:

bells pushed down in the mix, B section expanded, horns dropped, much happier that now.

i can't find the dissonance at 1:26 yet.

link to the original:

Chrono Cross - Voyage Another World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22BJ40om0A

cheers.

Very in-your-face, those bells. Reverb, and other stereo palcement/distance effects. Please. Beat is nice. Track is repetitive, first minute is essentially the same thing through out. Note clash at 1:26. Once you get that far in the track, the bells fit in much better without the effects they should have in the intro.

I have no idea what the source is, and there's no link to it.

There's some helpful criticisms. Aside from that, and the length, all I can say is that it's enjoyable. I want to hear this completed.

Source is there. Would probably be easier for someone having heard the source more before to hear, but there's a elements I recognize from a comparison, so the source content is probably in the green.

Lower range strings are a bit too... sharp, prominent, to fit into the otherwise soft soundscape you've got, imo. use another sample for the low-midrange strings so make it softer.

And that dissonance at 1:26 repeats at 1:42. It's a key change/odd chord thing that's causing it, another weird key thing happens at 2:12. They're not _bad_, but they can annoy some listeners.

Also, you could change the snare sounds depending on the dynamics of the rest of the track. IYou use a normal snare, albeit soft, at 0:26, as a fill. Using that as your main snare during the more busy sections instead of the softer hit could get you a more pronounced progression - which would bea good thing. It could come in at 1:52, there's really no need for it earlier. Note that this is just a suggestion.

Overall... still enjoyable, still want to hear it completed. It's got a shot with the J's, considering its interpretation, sound quality, and enjoyability. Once it's long enough, get on ocr's irc channels and ask one of the judges to have a listen.

woo, getting closer to final version, next section added, general minor changes here and there... i think i'll get rid of the choir ah's in one spot (at 1:36) cos they sound a bit cheesy.

other than that.. i think i just need to stick an ending on it and done, perhaps from where it is build up to the chorus and then go outro.

2:12 is the normal way the song goes (according to the score).

once i have the ending done i'll try and speak to one of the judges, thanks for the advice and encouragement, it's greatly appreciated! :)

1:27 ouch. 1:42 isn't as bad. 3:07 doesn't have the problem, which was weird as I anticipated some dissonance there. Annoying, but it's better than if it were bad. :P

1:53 gets way too thick too sudden, you might want to drop the choir volume a bit.

Either my ears or headphones have some balance issues, or the drums, perhaps the entire track is leaning a bit right. Some bells/celesta are panned left, but the drums and some of the isntruments sounds a little panned right. Panning all of them just a little less to the right would probably resolve the problem. Or maybe it's just the Haas effect screwing with my ears. if that's the case, you might want to shorten the delay between the channels a little.

It's also a little bit of the quiet side. A track like this shouldn't be LOUD, but "normal" tracks are gonna make this sound way too quiet when put in a playlist. You can make one with a few other soft OCR tracks, compare the levels. I think 4 dB could be enough, but that's just a guess. Comparison would give you a much better idea of how quiet it is and how much louder it should be. Use a compressor/limiter to raise the volume so it doesn't clip.

I can't really grasp the dynamic curve or progression in this, but there's nothing that stands out as being bad. I don't mind it as it is now, but dropping out the drums sooner might make it a bit more clear that the track is ending. You could end them at 2:59, or at least drop out the kick and snare there. Sure, a half minute of winding down might be a little much, but it's winding down regardless, the drums just make it more clear to the listener. But like I said, I don't mind the current ending.

Great stuff. Check with a J.