Sonic & Knuckles 'Lava Reef Zone'

Cypher

Just a lil' something I've been working on lately, its a remix of Lava Reef Zone from Sonic & Knuckles.

Still not entirely finished yet, looking for ways to more add variety to it as it gets a bit repetitive after about 1:30.

I'll keep you all posted on any progress I make with it. ;-)

Comments both positive and negative are welcome. :smile:

http://www.4shared.com/file/59742043/336b038f/Lava_Reef_Zone.html

Your intro sounded awesome and very creative, but about :25 when the theme came in it got way too formulaic. The beat was very basic and the harmony parts all but dropped out.

Production was decent and pretty clean, but a bit predictable. Not a huge issue here, but that arrangement really needs some work.

I suggest focusing on making the rest of the track as interesting sounding as the intro. I'd say most people know the lava reef theme really really well by now, so use that to your advantage and really try some creative partwriting. :-)

I'm glad you like the intro so much that's what I've spent the most time working on so far, the track is still in basic concept form, I'm concentrating on the sounds/samples at the moment then I'll figure out the rest from there.

The layout dose need work yes the intro kinda lies to you about how the rest of the song is gonna sound.....maybe that's a good thing maybe it's a bad thing, I'm still not sure to be honest.

I'm mostly happy with the sound set for now, the saw pluck for the side melody is just wow 8-O, not too sure what I think of the saw for the main melody though :???: it's nothing special, could do with abit of tweaking, the percussive loops kinda suck too they don't have enough depth to them.... too repetitive.

Thanks for commenting!

I agree with OA on everything he said there. And...

Bass seems to clash at times, like 1:00-1:10.

And the saw lead could use some additional mid-range frequencies, it gets a little thin as spread as it is. Try cutting the lows with EQ and setting a medium-resonance mild cutoff on it, cut down until its sound is thicker. Alternatively, try some random effects, see if an overdrive, distortion, delay, flanger, something could get it some extra phat.

Very promising stuff, C.