unexpected voice changes

I have had no vocal coaching, but for the past year or so I've started paying attention to how different parts of my throat/head feel and how they affect the tone. For the past few days I've actually started practicing a certain song regularly, and my voice overall has begun changing.

The song I've been practicing is at the upper limit of my range (so I have been straining a little bit), and I've been using a very breathy tone. Now it seems my talking voice seems to subtly remain in the breathy tone. I don't know quite how to describe it exactly. At first, it was only after I practiced, but now it sticks around for hours and keeps getting more permanent.

Here's what I've started practicing

I have been coming off of a sinus infection, but my throat has been feeling pretty clear, and the effect has been increasing. Any thoughts? Am I doing some kind of harm?

Do you know about head voice, chest voice, and falsetto? Falsetto is the raspy kind of voice you get by raising your larynx (sp?) in your throat to hit high notes. Chest voice is the normal sort of voice that you talk in or at least most people do. Head voice is also used for higher notes, but it uses a lower larynx than falsetto. If you hear it, it is much easier to mimic than trying to read about. It's like trying to learn a foreign language accent by reading about how to make the phonemes instead of just listening and mimicking.

If you can't find anything on youtube or something, pm me and I could make you a quick chest/head/falsetto demo. Also see if youtube has anything on the singing drill known as "bubbles" or "lip rolls". That will help you connect across your bridges.

I don't know about your symptoms, and I don't want to go spreading misconceptions by guessing what it is causing is. I have never had it happen. I would guess that it is because you are pulling up your chest and/or using falsetto to get higher notes. You can actually go a hell of a lot higher by using your head voice.

honestly it just sounds like you need to support your breath and energize more.

what i mean by support is use your diaphram rather then your chest to breathe/push the notes.

also try doing it not so softly, that'll help with the support you're trying to do as well.

if this is high for you, the higher you are the easier the notes will be if you're louder and are supporting them.

i hope that's what you're asking for.

• 1 month later...

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-N-Roll-Singers-Survival-Manual/dp/0793502861/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224699664&sr=8-1

This book, the Rock N Roll Singer's Survival Manual, saved my voice with the techniques it describes. It explains, in layman's terms, everything from chest, head, and falsetto voices to screaming "properly," how to quickly recover from a cold or quit smoking, and what to eat the day of a performance / recording

For six bucks used, I can't stress enough that it's worth it to anyone that sings more than just in the shower or car.