*NO* Journey to Silius 'Green Corridors' *FT*

Israfel

Sent to me from ced

---------------------

I don’t know if I dare showing up here again. Last time you flushed my song down your wc. Sure you didn’t think you would get rid of my and my tries that easy? But if you dislike this as much as the last one I’ll probably leave you and the poor defenceless game music alone and go back to my acid trance and big beat stuff. Anyway, here’s my second try, and again, it’s a Silius song.

Game: Journey to Silius

Title: Green Corridors

Genre: Downbeat (although 195 bpm)

Heard Massive Attack and Everything but the Girl, and thought a downbeat kind of tempo would be good. Since I’m an amateur without much of equipment, you might find the production not really excellent. Supports some kind of surround though.

the vocals would be cooler if you threw on some heavy reverb. as is, they just sound out of place.

the mix lacks subtlety (sic?) and while the groove is nice, it doesnt go anywhere. the song is repetitive, and the transitions to the solo pad arpeggiation are abrupt and rough around the edges.

i'm liking the segment at 3:40.

string volume 'tricks' are grating and...for lack of a better expression, they just arent sublte.

several bad sounding notes aroun 4:30.

Okay. this isnt a bad mix. the ideas are quite good; the vocal part was a good idea, the groove is nice, and the idea of the solo pad interlude is solid. unfortunately, none of these ideas is executed very effectively. the vocals are dry and they stick out. the transitions are rough, and the mix repeats too much.

NO

nice ideas, but the execution just isnt there.

Interesting. Like John Cage interesting.

It's like "hey, let's see if I can make a chord using every note possible and not using any more than once"

But seriously, there needs to be some major harmonic restructuring here 'cause there's a LOT of conflict. And I'm not talking about good dissonance here. Some of it may come from the low end being kind of heavy and muddy. Yeah, sometimes I wonder if being tonedeaf is actually a blessing in disguise, 'cause I can't take this mix for very long...

NO

D

• 3 weeks later...

supports some kind of surround... what? oh just forget it.

saw bass, 808 kit (oh yeah. massive attack.), some ok strings. vocals don't cut through, they're too muddy.

this is quite boring, doesn't really build up or break down much. not a lot of tension here, just keeps going and then fades out.

go for something shorter next time?

no