Pitfall II 'Brassy Gold'

Mister Kerr

I know people will eventually want this, so I'll say it now: do you have a link to the original Pitfall theme(s)?

Disclaimer: I can't provide an expert opinion on what judges will and won't accept, but I can say this: I'm a huge fan of brass music in particular, and this is great listening. When it ended, I wanted more.

You've got a good ternary form going on here. Does this piece have a title?

All that said, I play the bass trombone and might be available to provide the trombone part (can't do any post-production, such as pitch correction). ~Yera

Welcome.

No source link, no source comment.

I recall playing some old pitfall game, tho, and this does sound like it'd fit in. Something of an Indiana Jones sound.

You're gonna try to record this with live instruments, so there's no point in commenting on production issues.

Okay, what _can_ I comment on?

1:52 sounds a bit like something from Zelda 3's Dark World. :)

Overall, the same 5 notes over and over gets a bit repetitive, you could rewrite some iterations of it to be less, more, or just different. Cut the last one, drop the last one an octave down, make it quarter notes only and start the iteration with a quarter pause.

The intro could also be longer, or at least not sporting the leitmotif, theme, whatever as prominently as you do now. A longer intro reminiscent of it but not necessarily identifyable would give the theme more strength when it finally plays (which atm is most of the track).

I think the writing is good, so I hope this isn't a copy of the source. But you'll need to record it well. Make sure to conduct the thing so there's enough change in dynamics for this to be interesting. If you're recording the parts separately, you've got more control over them, otherwise you'll take into account stuff like how the room sounds, room acoustics, etc.. If you record the pieces separately, you might ahve timing and dynamics changes, tho.

Blah blah blah, I like it in its current state already, so a recorded version has got to be pwnsome. If it's going to ocremix, it'll have to be interpreted, but I can't comment to that without hearing the source. Good luck with it

Please take the time to answer the questions in this post.

• 1 year later...