*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Times So Near to My Heart'

Liontamer

Link to Remix: Also included is an attachment as a backup in case the link does not work for some reason.

ReMixer name: MG-Wolfwood

Email Address: sarverjm@muohio.edu

No Website

Name of game arranged: Chrono Trigger

Name of individual song arranged: To Far Away Times

My Comments: I first began learning this song when I was 12. I never really enjoyed the key change towards the end even if it followed the music of the game. It seemed a little odd, or "out of place", in this beautiful piece of music. I wanted to add a portion to the song that would both include a key change and create something new and exciting, while still remaining beautiful. I played this on my Korg-SP 250 electric piano hooked up to my computer with strings as an under-layer to the piano. I feel that the piano is a perfect instrument for this particular song.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "To Far Away Times" (ct-317.spc)

Beyond the adaptation to piano, the arrangement was really conservative as far as the structure for the first half. I felt the supporting string work & new piano writing didn't make up for the relative lack of interpretation, but after the key change at 2:53 there was some more substance.

The portion after the key change had a more interpretive feel. 3:28 moved onto some completely original material which pieced together nicely with the theme, returning at 4:18 for the finish.

The supporting string work was fairly quiet, which downplayed some of the issues there, but the articulations there were unrealistic regardless. In particular, some of the exposed decays (e.g. 4:31, 4:46-4:48) sounded very sloppy. The details matter.

You don't need to overhaul the first half, but you need more melodic interpretation or other additions/embellishments to make this more unique. I'd say refine the string work and introduce more ideas in the first half to make your arrangement stand apart more substantially from the original piece, and you'd be in much better shape to get this passed.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Very pretty, but too similar to the original for OCR standards. 80% of this is straight from the original song with your own minor grace notes and a looser playing style. I would have liked to see more varied left-hand work, new chords, or melody modifications like what you did at 3:18. (I love that little transition into your new section there, taking the original melody with it. More along those lines, where your original writing integrates into the song would be awesome.)

Strings are quiet but perceivably off. I think the decay is too long and the attack too short, because it always sounds like it is playing late, sometimes messing up the chords because of it. I didn't feel like it added that much to your beautiful piano playing and it could probably be removed. If you want to keep it, try to get the timing fixed.

Might take some rewriting if you're hoping to get this passed here. As it stands, I feel like it has too little of your own input in it.

NO (resubmit)

Man, you're really good at playing this song. xD

I gotta agree with my fellow brown Js. The arrangement here is pretty much the same as the original done piano solo. I also don't think the strings add anything to the mix; rather, they're distracting, especially when they have that sharp release.

You need to add more interpretation like you did after that key change. Take that idea and run with it.

NO, but definitely resub