Should original lyrics refer to the game?

In other words, should the lyrics be about the actual game itself, as in harmony and Star Salzman's ReMixes? Or should they be more like pixietricks' more subtle referencing?

Of course the judges are looking for solid song-writing, but do you think that clever game references help? Does the content of the lyrics matter?

content doesn't really matter as long as the lyrics are not lame. Lame includes but is not limited to:

-Cheesy/stupid (in most cases)

-Poorly thought out

-Awkward

-Vulgur/obscene/profane just for the sake of it

-Insulting

If you choose to reference the game, that's cool. Doing so or not doing so won't really help your chances of getting the mix accepted. I've personally heard vocal mixes that cover ground anywhere from referencing game plot, to silly nonsense, to repeatedly screaming the f-bomb over and over.

Execution is probably more important than knowing exactly what the lyrics are saying. Is the singing in tune? Do the vocals fit? Are they clear, or are they cluttered in the mix?

A good rule of thumb is to ask another person you don't know that well in the *real* world what they think of the tune. Just ask them for a general impression. They'll probably be honest with you.

My input won't be worth as much as judges', of course. But I do tend to have a bias towards vocal remixes.

My thought is that you should start by figuring out the purpose or mood of the song, and the lyrics should fit that. If it's serious, dark, etc., then the lyrics should go along with that tone--perhaps more subtle references might work in that case (e.g., Kindred, Invertebrate Retreat, and Dragon Song come to mind). If it's lighthearted, then you might have more flexibility with the lyrics, and you could work in more overt or direct references to the game (Da Black Market comes to mind for that). Also, different genres have a different focus on lyrics. So, if you're gonna do rap, then it's probably more important to make sure the lyrics are coherent first before worrying about how much they relate to the game--you could have no game references (cf Memories Frozen in Time), subtle references (cf Keep Out the Veldt), or really direct ones (cf Niggaz for Life).

I'm afraid this might not answer your question directly. But, I think it'd be a better strategy to let your lyrics work with the song, than try to work your song around the lyrics. Game references won't directly affect the quality of the song. But I can say that if your lyrics sound arbitrarily inserted (like adding references just for the sake of references), that can kill it. KF

I'm afraid this might not answer your question directly. But, I think it'd be a better strategy to let your lyrics work with the song, than try to work your song around the lyrics. Game references won't directly affect the quality of the song. But I can say that if your lyrics sound arbitrarily inserted (like adding references just for the sake of references), that can kill it. KF

Actually, you've done a great job answering my question. I guess my real intention was to gauge the site's reaction to game-related lyrics. These replies have given me a good idea of what is acceptable and what is not.

Thanks for the links to other lyric-containing ReMixes! I wish there was an easier way to find them (search option, mayhaps?). Adding them to my playlist... now.

Thanks for the links to other lyric-containing ReMixes! I wish there was an easier way to find them (search option, mayhaps?). Adding them to my playlist... now.

No problem. Though, check this thread for a more comprehensive list of songs with vocals in them (most have lyrics as well, though some are just ambient vocals). KF