Very Unfinished Parasprinter Attempt (VUPA)

LunarMongoose

The track ends abruptly as I'm nowhere near done with it, but after working on it today and getting pretty happy with what I have I wanted to toss it out here to see if continuing would be a total waste of time or not.

I know it falls well short of your standards, production quality wise. This is about the best I can do with what I have, and what I know how to do (which isn't much I'm convinced). I don't have any spare money, and I haven't had any luck finding ways to learn or people willing to help, so this is probably my last best chance -- here's hoping it raises a small amount of interest. :)

Original (couldn't quickly find where I got this from so I'll host it for now):

http://homepage.mac.com/klwelch/music/Parasprinter.mid

Mine:

http://homepage.mac.com/klwelch/music/VUPA.mp3

Thanks for any time taken to listen and comment.

No source link, no source comment. You're talking about the Ninja Gaiden II Parasprinter theme, right?

Since you've got a homepage.mac account, I'm gonna assume you did this in GarageBand. You can use Apple's own audio unit multiband compressor to boost the sound levels without running into any compression-related frequency cuts. You need it to be louder, and I recommend a multiband compressor for that. Gives you more control ovre the individual bands and keeps them from interfering with each other.

The strings don't sound very realistic, due to their attack and release and dull articulation. Can't remember what control you've got over the adsr envelope in gb, but if you can give the strings a lower sustain level (70-90%), and short attack, decay, and release. Giving you the numbers in milliseconds is hardly gonna help you much, but make each juts a little too short, and let reverb cover the cut. And yes, you need reverb, can't be sure if what you've got here is reverb or just slow release.

Better yet, use more than one track, more than one set of settings, so you can having slow attack and/or release on one without screwing up another. Then jnust move notes to the appropriate tracks.

The gongs/cymbals you've used are dark and quiet, they need more volume, possibly some EQ boost in th high range. YOu may want to use more than one sample, something to cover the high range as well as what you've already got.

Sounds raw (as in far from finished), but it sounds like it could be pretty good, tho. Good luck with it.

Remixer, listeners, please take the time to answer the questions in this post, we're trying to improve the WIP board and we need your feedback.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize a source link was expected or required. Makes sense, of course. I couldn't find a posting guidelines sticky with anything relevant in it, but I was also having trouble using this forum til just now; I finally figured out posts and pages are backwards here (bottom to top and right to left). Interesting. :) Link has been added to original post.

Anyway, no I didn't use GarageBand. I used a program I wrote myself, which I made b/c I wasn't happy with or couldn't figure out how to use any of the commercial software. It's perfect for writing music from my point of view, but has no functionality beyond entering and manipulating notes, and sending MIDI to hardware for playback. I have never known how to do anything but use existing patches as-is, and would like to learn, but find it all extremely confusing and difficult. I tried a demo of GB a year or two ago and was completely overwhelmed; the interface made no sense, and it didn't even seem possible to enter notes manually. Still, I suppose this means I will have to save up for GB and try to figure out a workflow pipeline that'll work... which'll probably also mean writing LlamaWare's MIDI export code at long last, heh.

Thank you for your response... hopefully the details within will be meaningful and useful at some point. :)

GB is really easy to get into, it surprises me that you didn't get it. I suppose you come from having read and written linear singular tracks instead of having worked with regions (areas with midi notes or audio data that you can move around independent of each other).

Impressive that you wrote the program yourself tho, but in order to work with audio, you'll most likely have to apply some effects to control the sound (EQ, compression, reverb and such, depending on what you need), and GB does that easily. Other than that, there's the free Audacity, but it only deals with audio and is more a recording a basic processing app than an audio editor/DAW.

Anyway, good luck with it.