Need recommendations on a (relatively) cheap electric acoustic.

Here is what I am looking for...

+Preferably in the $200-$400 range

+Sounds decent both plugged in and unplugged

I was playing around with a few at Guitar Center the other day and this $400 Takamine sounded pretty sweet... anyone know anything about those? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to acoustic guitars.

Also, anyone know a place to get a guitar for Cheaper than Guitar Center. I try not to pay full price for things, especially with the Internet around.

I was playing around with a few at Guitar Center the other day and this $400 Takamine sounded pretty sweet.

Well, there you go. If you like it, get it :P Hopefully you've tried out a few other ones too.

IIRC you can negotiate a lower price at guitar center, if someone else has the same thing for cheaper, they'll give you that price to make the sale. Not sure how it works for online stores though, I doubt they'll check eBay but maybe musicansfriend or zzounds.

Well, there you go. If you like it, get it :P Hopefully you've tried out a few other ones too.

IIRC you can negotiate a lower price at guitar center, if someone else has the same thing for cheaper, they'll give you that price to make the sale. Not sure how it works for online stores though, I doubt they'll check eBay but maybe musicansfriend or zzounds.

Well I like it but you know... in the same way my grandma likes Tetris. Which is to say, she doesn't understand video games at all so she jumps on the first one that sort of makes sense to her, but that doesn't really mean it is the best choice.

Plus I'm still new to recording so there might be some secret reason I don't understand why certain guitars record better than others or something.

I did try out a few though, and it was nice. But honestly a lot of what I am basing it on was that I could actually play it... usually acoustics strings are way too tight and require too much pressure to hold for me (I'm used to electric.) But does that even have much to do with the guitar? Or is it just the string gauge?

See... clueless.

With guitars you usually get what you pay for within the $100-600 range. Your best bet is getting a guitar new, at guitar center. Unless you're experienced enough to know exactly what you want, or you're getting something that's known for top quality from a place that's known for top quality, you should never buy a guitar online.

Your choice should come down to your level of experience as a player and your level of commitment as an instrumentalist. For a relative beginner I would recommend you go with something like an Ibanez acoustic-electric. They tend to make decent stuff in the $200-400 range. And always remember to spend the extra $30 and get a setup.

I've gotten some pretty sweet deals at local music stores but I would agree with Snappleman on the price:quality ratio and Overcoat on getting what you like. It makes no sense to get a cheaper guitar if you're not happy with the sound/feel/even the look (though that's not as important, obviously) when a, hopefully slightly, more expensive axe will keep you happy. I got my acoustic electric for just over the most I would pay for any guitar and I have to say it was a great investment. I loved it when I picked it up in the store: it sounded great, felt wonderful, and had very nice action (despite the steel strings).

In your case, Incinerator Drone, you might want to look into a nylon string acoustic electric if you are having issues with action. As much as they may be mocked by "serious" guitarists, Ovations are popular as a relatively inexpensive, comfortable guitar (you may know this already). Snappleman's on the right track with Ibanez also. If you can spend the extra dough, I would highly recommend Taylor (from what I know, this is a serious and fairly well-revered guitar brand).

If you live in the Maryland area, I can recommend a couple good stores. Good luck to you!

he means for someone to adjust the trustrod, bridge, and intonation to spec. most guitars off the shelf need to be setup correctly and some of it comes down to preference in terms of string height. also, things like changing tuning can alter all of these needing for the guitar to be readjusted. depending on your climate, seasons will also have a noticable effect on your guitar.

enjoy your new guitar.