djpretzel

It makes me sad that trumpets generally sound like such crap if they are

not real. So far, just a few seconds into this track it's a neat little

arrangement, but there are some instrument quality issues that are really

killing it for me... if a few of those lead trumpet lines were replaced with

something that wasn't suffering from bad midi patchitus I'd give this a

yes, but right now those few moments are just killing an otherwise killer

little latin track. I just don't think it's fair to let something that has such

fun potential get away with something that can be fixed.

You can drive a car with shit smeared on the windsheild, but why not

do something about it?

NO

hmm....borderlineage. there is great percussion, and the arrangement is solid. but it is awfully repetitive for a fairly short song, and the lead patches (trumpet mainly, but sax as well) are bad.

i think with a better lead, i would probably give this a YES, but for now, it's a NO

ok so the horns aren't THAT bad. But let's change the title, mmkay? It's not salsa. More Merengue, if anything. Salsa is much slower and laid back.

Anwyay, some of the horn blasts sound pretty nice. Actually, the thing I think needs more work is the percussion. Find some nicer conga samples (they're pretty easy to locate (much more so than, say, strings)), and listen to other examples in the merengue style to get an idea of how the percussion is arranged in this genre. Listening to salsa won't do you much good in this instance because you'd have to slow the piece down to like 66% speed and rework most of the instrumentation. Stick with merengue, it's working for you. Also, you may want to try to uncrowd some of the instrumentation. Latin jazz is all about dissonance, but they're all about clean dissonance, not just "hey let's all just play what feels right in this section and it'll sound cool and jazzy 'cause we're misunderstood, etc." Not that this is THAT bad in the crowded department, it could just use some cleaning up. I think.... Either way, in its current state:

NO