*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Omega Matter'

djpretzel

The beginning isnt so much music as it is lots of sfx and roar.

Gets interesting at 1:43.

Then it quickly goes back to the four on the floor simple beat with cut/res synths playing out the original melody.

I would like to see more interesting percussion on these types of songs, as well as some more variation on the melody.

The style was well done, but did not bring the song beyond its original melodic aura.

NO

there are some interesting things going on in this mix. i am kind of turned off by the constant reliance on four-on-floor beats...i think the mix could be much more than it is without it...

4/4 techno over the 3/4 melody wasnt as disasterous as it might have been, but it still comes off as kind of cheap. why cant you just have a beat that....fits the time signature?

i really like the section at 1:45.

the section at 2:45 is not good. at all. whiny....strings? i'm guessing. ending is allright, not great.

this is borderline. with some work on the aformentioned problems, i'd like to see this up. but for now,

NO

Very cool opening build-up and the section at 1:39 was really great. A few sections seem overly generic- but nothing sticks out as "bad" per se, and there are few excellent moments spread throughout.

My speakers can't handle that bass drum though. :P And what's with the long section of silence at the end?

But anyway, not too bad, and a few standout sections put it over the top for me.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Those first four notes are really started to get overworked sounding to me.

I think Magus theme is becoming the next Terra.

Anyway, back to the mix... Something about the bizzare ASDR on those

strings intrigues me and disgusts me at the same time. Interesting. What's

up with those chords at 1:30ish? The hats at 1:50ish are a little flat

sounding.. i'm not big on that choralish sample either..

Magus has been done so many times that if you really want to do anything

worth posting anymore it has to be some pretty awesome shit. This isn't

terrible, but it's not going to be on my "man you've got to hear this list"

The ending was interesting, but felt sloppily done, and yeah whats up with

the silence at the end?

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Yup. Doing the 3/4 to 4/4 thing is a tricky business, and while it can be done, this doesn't seem to be the way to do it. The clipping doesn't seem to help. I like the big beat in the beginning, but the way the 3/4 is done on the 4/4 is a no go for me. Instead of stretching a 3/4 measure to fit 4/4, you've kept the beat value's the same and laid it on top of the 4/4 beat. And overall the song seems very sloppy. I am afraid I can not pass this.

NO.gif

D