Star Wolf: Unplugged

squeakypants

The percussion seems to get repetative, and the fact that it's repeating with that tinny snare drum makes it worse, in my opinion. Use the snare sparingly. When using snare, I like it when it sounds like this, at 0:54.

Rich, and used (sort of) sparingly. Maybe you could have a crashing snare hit for a "stinger" of sorts, if your music moves into a different section.. or, then again, maybe this is all inappropriate for an accoustic guitar piece. I dunno, I'm brainstorming here.

The quality of the guitar, however, sounds great. But there's still too little happening. Put a bass instrument in there to make everything sound richer. Then add some variation to the theme.. a few random notes pop into your head as you're playing? Put those suckers in. Figure out what key this song is in, and mess with the scale. shit like that.

Almost no difference from the original, save for instrumentation, though the snare drum part isn't much different either.

Change it up when it repeats. Also, write an ending, please.

I must say I like it thus far. It still needs some work, though.

The percussion seems to get repetative, and the fact that it's repeating with that tinny snare drum makes it worse, in my opinion. Use the snare sparingly.

Maybe you could have a crashing snare hit for a "stinger" of sorts, if your music moves into a different section.. or, then again, maybe this is all inappropriate for an accoustic guitar piece. I dunno, I'm brainstorming here.

I disagree. I actually don't think the snare is too out of place, though the writing does need some work.

It boils down to the style of piece. This is a very acoustic, almost classical sounding piece. Your example was a very heavy rock variant. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

In fact, it almost has a Spanish sound to it. What you said does hold a lot of weight in drumset writing, but that is not what is happening here. This is an orchestral snare part.

Use the snare with the guitar a little more, instead of it being it's own entity. That part worked with the full orchestra because there were other parts in there that helped it, but with the solo guitar thing, you need to change-up the part. You need to make the snare part compliment what the guitar is doing.

The snare drum sound itself is one that I think needs to be changed. If you have access to a concert [orchestral] snare sound, use it. There is too much ring on that snare for this style.

Also, balance. Save for the snare solos, the guitar should always be the primary sound. Rework the snare solos, they lose their rhythmic integrity.