*NO* Super Mario Land 'Cloud Nine'

djpretzel

Hello,

I made a breakbeat remix of the ending theme to Super Mario Land on Gameboy. It doesn't appear that it's been done on this site, so I gave it a shot. It was tough to remix, due to an odd bridge, but I think it works out well. The song can be downloaded here:

*right click, save as*

I don't have any remixes on OCR yet, so I guess I'm new.

Artist name: DJ Ikronix

Email: robertbrooks@hotmail.com

I guess that's it...let me know if I left out anything.

There is indeed a bit of off note-age stickin out through this song.

Only other problem would be its rather repetitive nature.

Beat is cool, but doesn't change up too much.

The song has a very good feel to it though.

I'm rather borderline on this one.

Resubmit with the off-notes fixed and perhaps more percussive variation alone with melodict variation.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Nice dynamics and layered instrumentation; the intro is a good example of that. I'm afraid you haven't done enough with the original melody though, besides the unpleasantly off-key bits. The drums are also rather overused, especially alongside a 4/4 beat. Volume levels are a bit too low in the first half.

The arpeggios and breaks are great ways of arranging the theme, but the interpretation is too strict as is.

NO; am also interested in a resubmit.

At times the harmony is rather interesting. The beginning sounds downright polytonal. Hard to tell if what's going on there was intentional or if you just got confused by the harmony. Might what to double check your samples to make sure they're in tune with each other, and double check the notes in that section. The section at 2:52 does the same thing.

To be honest though, regardless of what you intended, I find the "off-ness" to be far more interesting than if it were traditional harmony.

Seems to depend a bit too much on the drum (loops?) to propel the piece forward- but that's a fairly minor issue.

Borderline for me- like the harmony, not totally digging the beats- but overall I thought this was pretty fun YES