Midi sound problems

illidari

I recently started to try out fruityloops. When I import a midi, i receive no sound.

I did the standard, no sound in fruity loop google search, and was able to get a midi to finally play

BUT

For some odd reason the sound has disappeared, and the original corrections I thought i made to fix, are no longer fixing the problem

Can anyone experienced walk me through this, I can upload pics of anything you ask for.

Sound: Sigmatell Audio from the dxdiag report

edit: I can see the piano keys moving and the green notes on the piano roll.

Midi's themselves do not create sound, the reason you can hear a midi file is because your soundcard puts in sounds for you. This is a very easy fix luckily, go to the mixer and place a "Fruity LSD" effect on the master channel and change the port to match the port of the midi outs (probably port 0 but check anyways), the big buttons next to the minimized piano roll data are the midi outs.

Thank you that did solve the problem for getting sound back. Oddly though, i had it playing the original sounds as if i downloaded it and opened it in windows media player for a short time :(.

=] Oh wells! Im happy again thanks !

i have one more question, when i switch between 2 programs, the lsd is changing back to piano, anyway to keep it from doing that

Just press "F10" and check your midi sound settings. Also make sure you have it set that FL Studio will enable midi output. You can the option somewhere in 'Tools' can't remember it straight. That should solve your problem without usin' the FL LSD all the time.

Not sure what you mean by "switching between 2 programs" but I do know that the LSD adapts to the the sound you pick on the midi out, but if you have more than one instrument on a channel, then it will only play one sound. Make sure that each midi out that uses a different sound is set to a different channel, then change the corresponding instruments in the channels of LSD.

Finally got the sound working and uploaded some vsts into the program. Anyway I can export a midi with the vst effects on it?

http://www.tweakbench.com/pippo

I downloaded some of these, and I'm trying to export a midi with the monomate vst.

Anyway I can do this? I know its something to do with the midi not being able to access the VST once its exporting, therefore I don't get the sound I'm wanting. I tried searching for a solution, and only found someone saying something about converting the midi to a mp3?

edit:

also thanks for the help so far, was very helpful

Not sure what you mean by "switching between 2 programs"<- What i meant was, when I have fl studio and an internet browser open. If i click on the minimized internet browser it was reverting it. It seems to be fine though now, it's only stopping the sound and midi from playing until i click back, then it picks back up. I can live with this.

Midi's themselves do not create sound, the reason you can hear a midi file is because your soundcard puts in sounds for you.

I quote myself, midis don't contain any sound or instrument data, so no it's impossible to have the VST instrument in the midi. An mp3 could be rendered with the audio, but there's no way to have midi and audio in one.

I quote myself, midis don't contain any sound or instrument data, so no it's impossible to have the VST instrument in the midi. An mp3 could be rendered with the audio, but there's no way to have midi and audio in one.

correct: midi is only instructions for your soundcard (similar to those old pianos that could play themselves), whereas a vst is outputting real sound. you can't have both in the same file because they're two different formats. if you exported to an mp3 or wave file, you'd be able to listen to both things at the same time.