Tales of Symphonia - This Idealist Boy (Lloyd's Theme)

TaylorMicha

Greetings!

Ive been around on OCReMix for a while now, and love the music!

So i thought id submit one of my songs i did a little while ago,

Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite games, and so i thought i may as well give this a go,

I know it may not sound like much! not too heavy or anything, but thats what i like, some of my fav tracks on VoTL were pothockets guitar tracks, and the several piano only tracks, especially the last one,

This is my first one, but i was thinking of doing a nice medley of everyones themes,

Let me know what you think!

TaylorMicha

So here is the source, unchanged, unedited, just straight from the OST

Original from OST

Heres the file (NEW, v1.1 ive removed some of the reverb, thanks Rozo)

This Idealist Boy

No source link, no source comment. Link to youtube posts of them (if they're tehre), you know what they sound like so you should be able to find them much easier.

Gonna give this a more in-depth analysis later, but I downlaoded it and put it on while working on something else, and forgot it was a wip. In that regard, good work.

I did notice there's a whole lot of reverb in it. Cut back on the reverb a bit.

All right, good work, I'll get you proper feedback later.

Still too much reverb.. or you forgot to update the file. Piano sounds pretty far from the listener. Would work great for an intro, that sound, but it needs to be more intimate later on. Like at 0:55, the part beginning there could come in on a much closer piano. Or earlier (like at 0:31), your call. Starting at :55 is another iteration anyway, another repetition, so you could change that up.

Speaking of repetition, this is pretty repetitive and not that different from source (aside from the adaptation to piano). It could use some change in rhythm, playing style, instrumentation (like adding a pad or strings in the background), chord progression, a variation of the melody or an extended rewritten version of it. Needs a little more variation. Just moving the left-hand writing down an octave would be a change, tho you'll need to do more than that if you're aiming for OCR-level arranging.

The piano also feels panned a bit too far to the right. Works for an intro, not for the bulk of the track. Wave samples are pretty, very calming, definitely worth keeping, just not for the whole track. You could fade those out at 1:00, only bring them back for the ending.

Well, that's the "more in-depth analysis" I promised. It's by no means bad or unpleasant, it's just lacking the level of interpretation and production OCR is looking for. Definitely worth developing. :D