*NO* Metal Gear 'Electro Gear'

Liontamer

Remixer/Forum name: Tyrannosorceror (formerly Mark_Li; I submitted a few mixes AGES ago when I was just learning. Tetris War Anthem and Eternity Ascending Gagazet :)

Email: ale0xxx1@gmail.com

Game arranged: Metal Gear (msx/nes)

Song arranged: Track 2 (whatever its called; I couldn't find a name anywhere :x)

This mix is my attempt to make a dance-able Metal Gear mix using what are (IMO) the best bits from the theme I chose. I am HEAVILY inspired by Justice, Kavinsky, The Presets, Midnight Juggernauts, Digitalism, Chromeo...basically all the indie electro stuff. I don't know if the influence comes through, since I'm nowhere near as talented as anybody on that list, but I'm still learning and I'm pretty happy with the track. I crave feedback.

---------------------------------------------------------

I remember Tetris 'War Anthem'; that was promising.

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/9121 - Track 2

Obviously, I liked the SFX in the intro. Music came off sounding empty despite everything going on, confirmed once the melody kicked in at :21. The texture here didn't fill the space well. I also thought the treble on the cymbals was a bit much; kind of surprising given that the rest sounded like it lacked highs.

I liked the concept behind the arrangement, this just needs cleaner production and an additional element or two to properly pad out the background & fill this out.

Something more interpretive with the melody at 2:05 would have been good, because it was a cut-and-paste of :22's section and dragged on.

2:34 switched over to an original section before playing with it around 3:00 and going into the chorus. Though the backing instrumentation was different, the chorus at 3:04 felt too similar to 1:21's section. Modifying the lead sound or rhythms there would have brought some life to it.

The synth design was a bit vanilla, and I also felt that there wasn't enough dynamic contrast. There's a good base here, but the structure and execution needs some further refinement.

NO

A note to anyone who wants to get their music judged faster: in your write-up, make comparisons to artists that I like. I'm on vacation right now, but I had to hear what a Justice version of Metal Gear sounded like.

It sounds pretty good, actually. I like the beat and the lead synth, and overall the arrangement is a great concept. Good energy. It gets a little repetitive though, even for that genre. Justice and their ilk tend to make micro-changes like gating or stuttering so that they're not just looping the same patterns four times. Those kinds of details would help this out some, in sections like 0:22-0:51.

I don't necessarily think it's empty like Larry does, but the production isn't that clean, and the master compression tends to make some sections sound softer because there's so much sound concentrated in one frequency range; it has to push everything down. Use more EQ to cut away parts you don't need. In a song so sparse, you should be able to hear everything very distinctly. Some of the backup synths aren't that interesting either, but that's not a huge deal to me.

You're probably one more version away from getting my YES (though obviously take into account what other judges say too :-P). Add some more details, make the sound a little cleaner, and send it back.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Those hats are so hot you could iron your clothes with them. Not in a good way. :( The hi-freqs on the hats combined with the lo-freq sound of everything else really unbalances the sound.

Vinnie's right, good energy, and great use of sound effects, but the texture sounds smooshed together. Gating effects might help too with some of the rhythmic blandness.

NO, but lets hear a fixed up version