Super Mario Radio. (SMB stage 1-1 and 1-2 remix)

A Emcee Muzik

This is one of my older works, a incomplete remix I did featuring melodies from stages 1-1 and 1-2 of SMB. I also used sound/voice effects from SMB, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario All Stars (the talking crowd in the background). This is my first go with sound effects. I started remixing VG music about 3 months ago, looking for constructive critisim.

This is the video for it on Youtube, the quality got muffled a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BD0W6wbJXc

If the quality is bad on Youtube (which it always is), then switch to another provider and post an MP3 file. http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17685 should point you in the right direction.

The sound is pretty catchy and neat, but it's not for OC. Nothin' you can do, either; even if you boosted the sound quality and changed a whole bunch of stuff, the style and heavy soundbite usage would still get you. OLR and Remix - ThaSauce would probably accept it quite readily, however.

It would actually be a close call on R:TS because of all the direct sample...legal difficulties could arise, and no one ever expects them to, but if they do that's a pretty solid way to get nailed.

Well, that's a quote from ThaSauce, himself, there. Thus, it would be a close call, not 'readily accepted', as I said before :P

Wish you the best for the future!

Criticism, eh? Well it really depends on what you're going for. If you're going for something that OCR is going to take, your completely out of luck. It would actually be a close call on R:TS because of all the direct sample...legal difficulties could arise, and no one ever expects them to, but if they do that's a pretty solid way to get nailed.

THAT SAID that doesn't mean this is a bad road to take, just not a very popular one amongst the core arrangement sites. This song is pretty catchy, and I do like the direction you're taking. It's something that I haven't really heard before, and I like it.

GENERAL critique I can say:

-Background crowd could probably go all together. It serves it's purpose to fill out the soundscape, but there's better options. Nothing that I can really thing of right now, but that's just not working.

-That detune saw you're using as the higher lead is no good. I don't know if it's because it's so painfully generic (I hear it everywhere...shit I've used it 100 times myself) or just because it doesn't really fit into the sounds you have going on, but you really need a better lead. It's a step in the right direction, but it's not really working right now.

-I do like the drums, but there might a bit of over-use of the block smash sound and the jump. Maybe changing what beats they come in and, or shorten the seconds where they repeat a lot. Generally if anything repeats for too long it's going to get old really fast. You just have to KNOW when to stop using something...get a real feel for it.

Overall this is a really chill mix that could be a cool kind of background music sound. Really mellow, good beat, just good times. You really need to expand on THAT, and figure out how to find a better lead than that saw with that in mind.

I'm not the best TECHNICAL musician out there, but I know what sounds wrong. SO I hope this helps D: