Flying Battery Zone - Act 1 (S&K stage theme remix)

A Emcee Muzik

My rendition of the theme for the Flying Battery Zone stage (Act 1 only) from Sonic & Knuckles. Unlike the "Super Mario Radio." mix I posted earlier, this one (which was the next remix I did) is sample free, which is how I normally like to work. I kept this arrangement faithful to the orginal, with some changes of course, including a solo section. This is the first remix that I personally felt proud of, like a step in the right direction (given the fact that I am new to this lol). I appreciate the constructive feedback on my last post, and would like the same for this one, to help me get better. I've done more remixes since this one, but havent been asking for pointers or such. I plan on looking over, and applying, what people have to say before working on a piece that I'm willing to submit to this site. I will post some of my more recent works soon.

Youtube HQ link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ARZcguvOx4&fmt=18

Thanks for listening.

Youtube again... Curses! Meh, I've commented on it with you before, so moving on...

The lack of samples help it's chances on OC, but you need to improve on your selection of instruments. They're too low quality to be accepted (Trust me, I've made the mistake enough to know better :P). The EQ'ing needs some work, as everything (melody, harmony, bass, etc) mesh into one giant sound; if no one can hear a distinction between any of the parts, whenever you do something cool with anything no one will hear it (Boo!). The source is most certainly there, but there isn't enough deviation from it to be OC material. It's the source with additional harmonies.

I will add, though, that the harmonies are delicious. I like the groove that you gave it. One of the lead synths make it sound a little gangsta at times, but it works for what it is. Perhaps saying who mixed it as a vocoded bit is a little odd, but I thought it gave it some flavor :). I personally thought that the drums could've stood out a lot more than they did - they would add a lot of energy to this!

Good luck - Hope to hear more from you!