Star Wars: Revisited

Toadofsky

I'm not one to start talking about Star Wars, or the original trilogy for that matter, mostly because I didn't grow up with it (grew up with the Prequels). But I still enjoy all of them.

So, didn't like the 2004 DVD edits of the original Star Wars Trilogy did you?

Well, you're in luck.

One man, has gone through EXTENSIVE care (2 years!!!), and has redone Episode IV: A New Hope. Sure, some changes are not significant, you probably won't notice all of them, but this guy has done the ultimate fan service that Lucas didn't.

Example...

He added the Anakin vs. Obi Wan music from Episode III, fixed the Sabers colors (Vader's is no longer Pink, and the flashes aren't yellow looking splotches), and the Tie Fighter dog fight has a more intense feel...

A cut scene he did himself, and would have been interesting to see, if not funny for the Jar Jar haters...

This link is his current work in progress, The Empire Strikes Back

Massive Color Correction. Eliminating a lot of the blue effect. Honestly, that really didn't bug me. Neither did the whole Green tinting to the Dagobah shots in the old edition.

Notice the small touches to Yoda's mouth, to make it seem that he's saying the lines...

Easy to find A New Hope re-edited, just look on bit torrent sites, they're bound to have them. But make sure you at least have the original DVD copies, the guy who did this pleads with all the ones that get this.

And I hope I don't sound like a walking ad here...

I have to say that adding music to the duel between Ben and Vader only detracts from it.

It can be argued that by omitting any scoring while they are trading blows, it captures the understated idea that Ben fully expects to depart from that plane of existence, and is merely buying time.

Originally there was silence save for the effects of the lightsabers striking each other, Vader's respirator, and the dialogue; the music doesn't return until the end of the duel, that signifies the emotional sting of shock and horror experienced by Luke at watching his mentor die.

So...yeah.

I'm going to be a purist in this instance and say "what the balls was this guy thinking?"

I have to say that adding music to the duel between Ben and Vader only detracts from it.

It can be argued that by omitting any scoring while they are trading blows, it captures the understated idea that Ben fully expects to depart from that plane of existence, and is merely buying time.

Originally there was silence save for the effects of the lightsabers striking each other, Vader's respirator, and the dialogue; the music doesn't return until the end of the duel, that signifies the emotional sting of shock and horror experienced by Luke at watching his mentor die.

So...yeah.

I'm going to be a purist in this instance and say "what the balls was this guy thinking?"

I agree that there probably wasn't a need to put the music in, I thought it was kind of neat though. But overall, I'm eager to see what this guy is doing to Empire, and Jedi.

Maybe he'll do the prequels next. But the Phantom Edit is the definitive cut of Episode I. Not to mention Attack of The Phantom, aka Episode II.

I can understand fixing major things, like Mark Hamill shouting "Carrie!" (which I think was fixed in the rerelease). Color correcting and changing the score seems a little overboard and more of a personal preference thing.

I also agree that adding the duel song to the Obi Wan / Vader fight is just plain wrong. It was scored for an epic showdown, not 2 old guys fighting at a snails pace. :-P

I can understand fixing major things, like Mark Hamill shouting "Carrie!" (which I think was fixed in the rerelease). Color correcting and changing the score seems a little overboard and more of a personal preference thing.

I also agree that adding the duel song to the Obi Wan / Vader fight is just plain wrong. It was scored for an epic showdown, not 2 old guys fighting at a snails pace. :-P

I agree about the snails pace, but it seems like he sped the film up.

This is just a fan edit, there's hundreds of them. And in some cases, it's actually made some films better...