Chrono Cross - Get Low Chrono

Dj Joely

• 1 month later...

I am not really a fan of this PUMP THIS PARTY style of music. But my taste will not affect my opinions on this track.

The samples have very high quality, makes it sound slick and pro. Cool use of vocals in the track. The main piano theme's backing drives me a bit crazy. A LOT of repeat going on there. Makes the whole tune fall into a 'trance' of ... what to say, habit? I reached a point where I just had it going on in the background, it didn't keep my attention all the way. Too much looping.

Keep your creations coming! The mixing is very good. :)

Yeah, I agree with LunarHeartHeaven in that the opening was not my style, but once it hit the 1 minute mark, I was sold. Really nice use of the source with well-balanced instrumentation. The parts don't get in the way of each other. Sure, as the others pointed out, it needs a little more variety but you have a pretty solid foundation.

Thanks for giving Chrono Cross some much-needed representation.

APPLE BOTTOM JEANS AND THE BOOTS WITH THE FUR

(WITH THE FUR)

THE WHOLE CLUB WAS A LOOKIN AT HER

SHE HIT THE FLO

NEXT THING YOU KNO

CHRONO GOT LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW

Anyway there's some interesting stuff in here, but there are some big things this mix is lacking if you want it on ocr. Your soundscape is fairly limited--you use some neat sounds in the opening, but really all you have is the shorty got low synth, piano, some loops, and vocal clips. I'm all for minimalistic instrumentation, but the texture really leaves a lot to be desired.

I also found it really ironic that at one point one of the clips said "PUMP UP THE BASS" because even though the drums have a pretty meaty kick, there is actually no bass instrument through any of this remix. Leaves the whole thing sounding really incomplete to my ears.

I guess the biggest hit this remix gets is the lack of variation/interpretation. I think the core idea of super-imposing shorty got low over chrono cross is cool, but once the source melody comes in it really doesn't ever change--it's just the same thing over and over again, with occasional changes in the background. The interpretation of the background music is cool, but there's no real interpretation of the theme itself--it just sounds slapped on over the background.

So yeah, lets get more variation/interpretation of the theme, change up the texture a bit, and get some sort of bassline!

haha, I read the title and had to hear this.

Nice work so far. A few comments: I agree with Doug that it sounds a lot weaker than it should because there's no bass to actually pump up. Bring in some hard thumping bassline and I think you'd really get the crowd (i.e. me) jumping. And personally, I don't like the primary kick that you're using. It's too acoustic sounding and doesn't have the fullness that I'd expect from this type of track. The boomy kick that comes in right at the end would be much better suited to carry the bulk of this track, imo.

Finally, I think if you toned down the reverb it would make for a cleaner more punchy sound. If you add a bassline, you'll probably need to take down the reverb anyway in order to keep everything from sounding too muddy.