*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Times to Come'

djpretzel

Hello Overclocked Remix. As you probably know I am Brink-of-Time. I have another remix for you to judge. It is a remix of the song "To Far Away Times" from Chrono Trigger. It is called "Times to Come". It is a orchestral remix with some nice samples. I rearranged the song to give a more relaxing feeling. The flute is a live flute playing the melody. The instruments include a piano, sax, strings, harp, guitar, electric bass, chimes, drumset, and a live flute. you can find it at my website:

Thnx,

Brink-of-Time

First Impression:

Yeah... that intro. Not the best.

Alot of the notes clash, and even though I'd be willing to bet you meant some notes to be that way, it doesn't add anything to the piece, and is quite the distraction. Go through the notes and one by one, weed out the clashes. It'll give the piece a much cleaner feel.

the sax sample is pretty unbelievable, but I can't hold that against you. Equipment is 'spensive.

There are some pretty ideas here near the last 3rd of the piece... when it starts going into FINAL FANTASY LAND?!? Wut? But I like the transition. Didn't even know what was happening until it was too late.

Lasting Impression:

It needs to be cleaned up alot. You have some good ideas, but they need to be fleshed out more. Don't add any more instruments, because that would clutter the sound. Instead, try to use each instrument effectively and fully.

You've got the macro-scale stuff down. Now, get down on your hands and knees and get all the little details.

No

this mix could use some serious quantization. the off-rythms are particularly noticeable in the intro. it sounds really sloppy.

there are also a lot of sloppy harmonies. there are a number of moments where it seems that some instruments forgot to shift to a major key with the rest of the song.

i also agree with dan that the mix has a supermarket-jazz feel. not good.

its just sloppy.

NO