*NO* Mega Man 'Doctor Dance Revolution'

djpretzel

repetitive, but catchy. I think it's worth providing the mixer with feedback in this case. With some ambient pads and processing to give it some depth, and a lil more variety, this could be a really funky mix. What say you? -djp

Hi there,

skulkrusha here. I've had this mix I did ages ago on my hard drive for some time considering if I should submit it or not. It's called "DoctorDanceRevolution" from the first Megaman game (it's based on the Gameboy version, but I'm guessing the NES and Gameboy editions don't have much variation). It's based on Dr Wily's castle theme, it's the first theme you hear when you unlock the level. The link follows:

This was made on the FL 3 demo, using only the preset sounds. I've had the tune on my disk for a while, like I said. I was a little disheartened at the first remark I recieved about the piece, since it was nothing but complaints, so I decided to keep it away from OCR exposure. I've decided after some encouragement, however, that maybe I should try to submit it anyway.

Oh, and, may OCR live for 100 years, or more!

-skulkrusha

your bass is doing cool things. keep that.

the problem with this mix is that right now it's very bare-bones. the synths are dry and unoriginal. and there are only 3 instruments. you should add texture by adding softpads or strings or something.

(unrelated note) holy cow johnny damon just got run over by a truck

look around for some synths that are more pleasing to the ear, and add harmony and texture with more instruments.

NO

The problem with using preset sounds is that your listening audience has already heard them so many times that by the time they get to your mix, they're less than thrilled. Not creating/editing your own denotes a lack of creativity and laziness.

Instrumentation is very sparse, too sparse even for "minimalist dance", if such a thing exists. Add fills, effects, more varied synths, accompaniment; more music. This is a neat beat, so finish it up!

NO

I started listening to this and thought 'What! This is just using the default fruity sounds!' Then I saw the thread. My bad...

I agree with everything that has already been said. What this mix needs is original synths, some reverb, and more texture, preferably provided with a slow attack instrument such as pads or strings. It's got the beginnings of a groove, but needs more work to it. Keep going.

NO