*NO* Kingdom Hearts 2 'City of Darkness'

Liontamer

Back at ya with another concoction from "Blue's Kitchen."

This time, its a little different from my usual style.

CONTACT INFO:

Blue Magic

Damon Campbell

http://www.angelfire.com/blues2/bluemagic/

Anglefire tends to have its retarted moments, so if the link is not working, please let me know.

REMIX INFO:

Kingdom Hearts 2

"Sacred Moon" (with a little bit of "Passion" thrown in there)

I kinda stepped out of my comfort zone with this mix and decided to try a more driving, energetic mix. I also added alot synth pads in the background that I heavily distorted using the Buzz Effect Adapter, which was a FL Studio default plugin that I use to totally ignore. That adapter gave my synths a buzzing, whiny, insect like sound that I thought was pretty cool and added greatly to the overall feel of this mix.

When I first stared this mix, I was kinda hoping that I could something that was similar to Sephire's "Above the Rising Falls" remix. That was my main inspiration.

I hope you guys have as much fun listening to my little mix, as I had making it.

Peace,

Damon Campbell (Blue Magic)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Kingdom Hearts II Original Soundtrack - (226) "Sacred Moon" & (103) "Passion ~opening version~"

Interesting approach. Didn't seem like it was quite clicking once things picked up. The timing of the strings brought in at :30 sounded slightly off; the articulations didn't sound realistic. I also thought the drumkit sounded really weak and uncomplimentary to the rest of the instrumentation during the main verses (:45-1:15 & 2:30-3:01). The background seemed to be missing the right element or two to properly fill this out & glue the pieces together. The ending at 3:31 was also extremely abrupt.

A good base, Damon, and I generally like the arrangement ideas here, but the execution needs to be refined to fully deliver here. Definitely no reason to be afraid to move outside your comfort zone in the future; keep doing it!

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the arrangement. The set of instruments is cool, the two themes are woven together well, and the stuttering drums and reverse effects add a lot, while being a little reminiscent of Passion.

Pretty much every problem I have is production, but they are significant ones. The drums are definitely weak and this piece feels a little adrift because of it, no anchor. Bring them up, maybe use some fuller samples or do some layering. The timing of the strings is off, and they also sound hollow. You might need to tweak those or find a new sample. There's also something about the way the piano is produced that sounds off but I can't put my finger on it. I think it's something in the reverb settings, so I might scale those down.

I'd like to see this one again with a production as strong as the arrangement. Take the time to fix it up, Damon.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Very interesting choices made here. While I can see where you were goin with the strings, the articulation of the samples makes them sound sub-par. They're not fit to carry the track like they do now. I thought the drums were pretty cool, had a very analogue drum machine-sound. However there are several "holes" in the frequency range and many elements end up sounding thin. Be careful while distorting since that can severely alter the frequencies of a sound. If everything is put through the same fx they will all occupy roughly the same space.

The arrangement was very creative. I really liked the small hints to Passion (great track that one) and the mood was fantastic. Like Vinnie said, a lot of the ideas are reminiscent of Passion in a very good way. The track ended with a cut-off, that should not happen :)

Overall the production issues are too big to let this through. I do really like the concept and arrangement in general though so I'd love to se you resubmit this! Keep it up Damon!

NO(resubmit)