*NO* Tetrisphere 'Junsei na Kyuu (Perfect Sphere)'

djpretzel

There is not much going on here in this trance mix to justify its length. For the most part, the only music heard is a simplistic preset synth lead and bass, 4/4 beat, and some gliding pads. I'm not familiar with the original, but considering how drawn-out the core melody is with little movement beside keychanges of the overdelayed strings, I don't doubt that there's little deviation.

Not much here at all. NO

I got my ass handed to me in this game. Who thinks in 3 dimensions!?!?! (goes back to playing HomeWorld 2)

First Impression:

Not being familiar with the source material... The synth/drum makeup sound pretty tight. I like it alot.

And then those strings come along and muddy up the works. For one, they're too loud. For another, they're delay throws off the rythymn of the piece. They detract from the piece more than they add.

Final Impressions:

You had be until you took me to Stringtown. Considering the short length of the melody, there probably is no reason why this should be as long as it is. Remember: compact ideas and better then long drawn out mediocre ideas. If you can't get across what you want in 2:00 using the same exact melody and chord structure... why bring it to 4:00+ ?

No

the other judges make good points, but they are kind of underemphasizing the major problem in this mix.

the beat is okay, the sounds are nice, but the mix is too spaced out. it is too long. there are some half decent ideas, but there is way too much dead space in between them. this mix could be condensed. think tang. go for half length.

the other major problem, which is really a symptom of the aformentioned issue, is that it doesnt escalate. the ideas are separate, and they dont flow into one another. build them into each other, increase the overall depth, and this could be kind of cool.

NO