*NO* Raiden 2 'Divine Wind'

Liontamer

Contact Info:

Remixer name: Divine Wrath

E-mail: ransiers@msn.com

UserI.D: 26445

Submission Info:

Name of Game Arranged: Raiden II

Individual Song: Golden Desert (from Level 4)

Additional Information: Everything is already on the site.

Comments:

This is my first submission, and so far I have only done 2 arrangments (i'm fairly new at video game music). The major changes I made here were in the style and feel of the song. I love the soundtrack to this game and didn't really see a need to change the lead line much. However, I thought I could give the song more feeling. Most of my energy here went into rewriting the drums and inserting rythm guitars. Also writing that little guitar solo section. I changed the song to a metal feel, and this is seen in the elements I put into the guitars and bass, for instance the double bass and galloping rythm lines. Production wise I didn't really do anything special. Typical mix, typical EQ. I did get a new drum sound (you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you heard my original work) but that was about it. Overall, I feel happy with this mix dispite how simple it may be. I think I effectivly captured the idea of the original but gave it more variation and changed many essentials. I recorded the entire thing myself (used a synth on the drums but wrote the part myself) and you can definatley see progress in my drum writing and mixing skills.

Enjoy!!!!!!

LT Edit (2/9): Best footage I could find after a quick look (starts at :27):

------------------------------------------------------------

Raiden II - (07) "Level 4"

Fairly solid, but the guitar performance in particular wasn't expressive enough. Loosen that up so the timing isn't as stiff. Melodically, this also could have afforded to go in some different directions compared to the source tune. The melody during the 1:28 & 3:31 sections were too much like retreads. Get more interpretive and vary them up.

The dropoff at 2:31 worked conceptually, but there was still a fair amount of empty space there, IMO. Wouldn't mind a second opinion there. The treble also sounded a little too hot and could have been pulled back a bit.

Work on filling out some of the empty space, making the textures sound more cohesive and making the guitar performance less mechanical sounding and this would be a lot stronger.

NO

Coincidence! Just found Raiden III for PAL PS2 cheap after quite a while of searching around the net. Perfect vote to get me pumped!

The mixing is generally a good start but has a few issues. The drums sound quite good but the kickdrum is too "big" and roomy and takes up a lot of space while making the track sound unfocused. The cymbals could definitely be brought forward some more (the ride at least) but the snare sounds good and so does the toms. Wouldn't mind less rimshots on the snare. Some audible cracks (for example the ending), get rid of those.

The lead guitar sounds a bit on the dry side. The backing sounds good but at times get (palm mutes) gets too bassy! I, unlike Larry, does not think there is too much treble. I would've liked a bit more to make it "clearer" :)

Arrangement is going in the right direction. You're obviously a good guitarist and the intro is especially a high mark. The lead playing does however sound a little bit sloppy at times. I enjoyed the drop-off at 2:31 but the snare sound is grating. Some more interpretation in the lead (I know you said you didn't want to but arrangement is what we're about!) would help too.

Overall this is a good start but needs more polish. The mixing especially in my opinion but the playing could be a liiittle tighter and the arrangement a liiittle more interpretive. Keep working on this! Try out the WIP-forums and #ocrwip on irc.enterthegame.net for some constructive feedback and be sure to resub!

NO(resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say this is about 90% of the way there. The arrangement separates itself from the original, though that's mostly in the backing parts. It wouldn't have hurt to vary the lead melody a little bit more. I had no problems with the timing of your playing, but sometimes the notes feel static and could use more slides, vibrato, and grace notes. With those kinds of subtleties, you might be able to leave the melody intact and still have it sound different enough.

Mixing is a little funny. The backing guitars are definitely too low, the hi-hat is too high (I think there's where Larry is going with the treble comment), the kick has an unusual sound to it (no body), the lead guitar could use more high frequencies. EQing and recording is definitely good, there's a clarity here that I like. Playing with the volume levels would probably be all you'd need to do.

I contemplated giving you the YES, but I think this needs that last bit of polish. Hopefully that fact will spur you to fixing this up and resubmitting. It's a close one, Joey.

NO (resubmit)