Problems with WAV MP3 Conversions

Gario

Hey, all!

I obviously need to compress my files to an acceptible file size if I want anyone to listen to them. However, currently when I compress my files I find that I lose a lot of quality (I'm talking around 15 - 20 dbs). That's quite extreme for such a conversion, and the loss of quality is astounding. I can't post something here accurately with the loss being this extreme.

So, I'm taking a 4:45 piece, exporting it from Reason 3 at 44.1 khz, 16 bit dithered (it comes out as a wav., and it sounds quite good at that level), then import it to Super and format it as an MP3 file, 44100 khz, 160 kbps, 16 bit, 2 channel, and it comes out terrible. It also is borderlining the limit for OC (roughly 5.8 megs, converted), so I can't just up the quality :P

I understand that there is going to be some loss between the files, but the amount that I'm getting is ridiculous. I'd give a sample to show what I mean, but that'd be a 50meg file I'm posting, and I'm sure no one wants to deal with that :)

Is there something I'm doing wrong with my conversion, or should I use a different program? If there are any other programs that I can use, could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I used Audacity for the longest time and its great!But for me about 2 days ago something just stopped working right and I cant explain it so i looked for a new free program and now Im using GoldWave and I only used it once so far but I like it.With my luck on stuff like this it will stop working after I convert 10 songs haha

But yea Audacity is good no dout but if your not liking it try GoldWave.