# The Gurentai

# k@thegurentai.com

# http://www.thegurentai.com

"Cry My Bloody Tears"

ドラキュラII呪いの封印, Castlevania 2

「Bloody Tears」

インタネットサイト http://www.lastfm.jp/music/Konami+Kukeiha+Club/_/Bloody+Tears

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/13508 - Track 2 ("Bloody Tears")

This is pretty solid, but it's not up to the standard set by other rock mixes. The mixing was a bit cluttered and grating, the production of the electrosynth first used at :43 didn't quite mesh with the rest of the instrumentation. Seems like a guitar synth for the lead; not bad. Certainly produced decently for what it was; it managed to have some body even if the note-to-note movements sounded stiff.

2:57-4:14 was practically a cut-and-paste of :00-1:43, which was weak. Revisit the guitar articulations, refine the second half to bring something new to the arrangement instead of a retread and clean up the mixing a bit and this could be good to go.

NO (resubmit)

The mixing was a weak spot here. The guitar+bass combo sounded a bit too muddy. I think the bass might take up too much space while the chugging backing guitar is a bit too muffled. The synth is a bit flat and.. well quite ugly to be perfectly honest. The lead guitar work was well handled though and the drums were better than most subs we get.

The arrangement was quite good. The guitar lead melody sometimes feels articulated a bit stiff. Too bad 2:57 was cut-and-paste, you could've gone the extra mile to get some more interpretive source usage here. Another thing that could help vary this up is changing the chord sequence once in a while. 2:05 was really nice though.

Overall this has the foundation needed but could be developed some more. If you touch up the production and add some variations to the second part this would probably pass.

NO(resubmit)

The rock arrangement was pretty good, though with a song like Bloody Tears, high standards have already been set for rock arrangements. Still, I think you had a unique take on it with the addition of synths and a great, original section in the middle. The repetition was a little much - Larry and Mattias pointed out the cut-and-paste articulations, and 0:00-0:13 gets used a lot too. Good drum programming though. I also wasn't crazy about the synth choices. They sound too thin to be a lead in a rock arrangement.

None of the synths are worked into the song well enough either; they sound like they are floating over the mix. Push them back a litttle to work them in, using some reverb too. The mixing here is pretty good beside that, but when you combine it with an arrangement that's also pretty good, it isn't strong enough to pass. It's certainly close, and with another revision, I think it could be there.

NO (resubmit)