*WIP* FF9 You're Not Alone (Eternal Blue Ocean Remix 1)

Lindar

Can't comment on your others, as this is the first one I've seen (or remember) Also, you'll want to get a copy of the original source in the future. A YT link will do fine usually.

Should be source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHsXNkI1rfA

I WILL EDIT THIS WHEN I LOOK AT YOUR CLIP, STAY TUNED! :tomatoface:

Okay, lets get started then.

1) I'd like to see a longer introduction before you jump right into the bit of playing the tune. As it is, this thing really isn't building up into anything. You're main synth enters at 1:15, but before that things are pretty static in terms of volume, percussion, and sounds. By the time the main synth enters, I'm bored. Take some time with the intro, start with just those gentle chords and some neat volume and panning. Add in the aux percussion a bit later, and go from there. This will give you some length to the track as well.

2) Some of those high frequency tones hurt, look into some EQ to help them. Some of that up there in the stratsophere sounds very off in terms of notes also. A better idea is to move all of that down an octive or 2 and get a synth you like better.

3) The heavy bass drums at 2:14 are causing compression issues I think. That, and that sort of heavy bass drum build doesn't fit into this style of song. You have a very laid back beat, then some off beat hat stuff. Nothing that really says 'throw in a very heavy bass build at the end'

4) Does this have anything making low end sounds other than the kick drum? I mean, it could really use like a bass part, right now it's all high frequency parts. Even something simple would add a lot.

5) I feel like the drums don't really build to where they need to be until about 1:46. Build to this point of complexity sooner in the song, then you can drop the drums, or change things up without needing to re-introduce a build up.

6) That main synth that you use is just repeating the same pattern over and over, it gets old really quick. Change to another synth, or incorporate some other notes in there. Once you know what key it's in, you can build something you like.

7) More piano, less of the synth that makes the whining noise. That's more of a support instrument to me, and the piano should really be your leader here. This is toward the beginning, before the main synth enters.

Hope that helps, I can't speak to much else until some of that is fixed. Especially that high painful thing! A few of the progression issues. Not a bad start.

-H

Gonna base this on hewo's critique.

1) Yes, more intro would be nice.

2) Yes, it's heavy on the highs.

3) Yup, compression. Nope, doesn't fit, too distorted. And by then, you've sued three different kick where one would have been sufficient (I recommend the second one)

4) For most part, you can get away with off-beat 4th note bass notes (hitting in between the bass drums from 1:39)

5) The percussion pattern from the intro is pretty cool, you should use that later. Use it to show where your remix is at: build-up, chorus, toning down...

6) I actually like that synth ostinato, it's just too loud, would work better if it was a background thing. You need something more varied as your lead instrument.

7) I agree. The piano has some nice writing, but it gets buried by the synths.

The arrangement (chord and melodic progression) is still the same as source. You're getting better, Linda. Time to start writing the arrangement from your head, not from the source.