*NO* Shinobi 3 'Whirlwind (HQ Mix)'

Liontamer

Not the most creative name, but a solid listen - LT

* DJ Visiontech

* Dustin Gardner

* DJVisiontech@yahoo.com

* http://www.myspace.com/DJVT08

Thanks for the opportunity to get my remix posted on this website.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitely one the best source tunes I've ever heard, ever since Rayza made his mix of the same theme.

Coincidentally, the MP3 tags mention this being influenced by Rayza's own Whirlwind mix), which is pretty obvious given that the structure here also includes the original portions Hayden wrote. So just for everyone's edification, this is a remix of a remix.

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=298 - (26) "Whirlwind"

Rayza - "Whirlwind (Gale Force Mix)"

The soundscape could have used a bit more treble, but this was still pretty decent. After introducing the Rayza countermelody from his mix at :28, the arrangement here moved things toward a club style, with some pretty standard beats coming entering at :49.

1:46-2:14 cut-and-pasted :49's section, which was a shame, before going back to the intro and then genre-adapting more from Rayza's mix for the finish.

Overall, the new style is fine, but it's not a developed enough idea. Integrate some additional concepts and develop the arrangement ideas further. You could come up with some melodic or countermelodic variations, or original sections of your own to. This was a pretty short mix, yet ideas tended to retread and beyond the move to a club style.

Right now there not enough in the arrangement or production style that gives this arrangement a unique-enough voice compared to Rayza's mix, and that's necessary in order to have us pass this (or any ReMix of a ReMix). The base here is good, Dustin; take it to the next level. Give this a more creative name as well. :-)

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

ReMixes of ReMixes are tough because you've got to arrange the source as well as the arrangement, while not sticking too closely to either or drifting too far from the source! *whew* I agree with Larry that you didn't pull that off here, and there were too many elements taken from Rayza's mix and not enough of your own. The style adaptation and effects were cool, but there wasn't any new melodic content to speak of, which makes this more a remix in the traditional sense than an arrangement. I also thought the mix could have been less distant.

If you can add some more of your own elements to this, maybe a solo or new countermelodies, chords, something, this could be a ReMix in its own right, as well as a nice tribute to Rayza's song (which it already is).

NO (resubmit)

This one's definitely too close to Rayza's remix. All melodic motifs and rhythms are pretty much the same. Another issue is that you re-use these ideas multiple times in a short mix which is a bad thing because 1) they are not your ideas and 2) it gets repetitive. The beat was also quite repetitive and didn't feel very focused.

The new style was quite nice but I felt the main lead was a bit hard on the ears and could've been pulled back a bit or at least play something other than legato :) I also agree with Vinnie about the mix sounding a bit distant. The overall production was pretty good though, I liked the sound you used for the chords!

This is a good remix in the traditional sense of the word and it's a good arrangement of the source but it's not YOUR arrangement. When you personalize your ideas more and move away from re-using Rayza's parts, awesome as they may be. Good luck getting to that point, you've obviously got the tools for the job!

NO