*NO* Final Fantasy 2 'Mysidia on the Rocks'

djpretzel

Email sub file Final_Fantasy_2_MysidiaOnTheRocks_OC_ReMix.mp3 -djp

Hello again!

About a month and a half ago, I sent in a Megaman 2 piano arrangement and got the confermation... just curious if you forgot to post it. Anyways, here is my 3rd entry - I took a 'rock' approach to this strange but classic FF2 town song; I played the basic melody over some piano and acc. guitar runs (it's nostalgic that way) and jam it out towards the end (piano improv) before concluding with the theme again. Everything was done on the S90 (Yamaha) and I used Cakewalk 9.0 to track it, starting with the drums. Not my best but something experimental and a great freaky tune. I call it "Mysidia On The Rocks". Thanks, hope you like it, and if possible, could you check on my last track (Megaman2)? I'm excited about its review(s) much more so than this one ;) Keep up the great work -- Jayson Litrio

Hehe, Mideast beat. nice.

Two main issues with this song:

Length - way too short. 2:30. Just starts and stops. Hardly a song.

Drums and main progression - Drums are ok, but not mastered well. They are weak and hollow. Main progression is pretty much the same as the original game song with some minor piano.

I really like the improv stuff.

Make this song twice as long, and work on varying up the progression and you'll get my vote.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see something unique like this.

The middle eastern vibe present throughout is really super. Instrument selection is perfect. The middle eastern stringed instrument along with the piano work well together. I do like the flute sections, although the bends are very synthetic.

Drum and percussions fit the mix really well. I would have loved to have heard those arabic kind of claps along with this mix, no not cheesy trance claps.

Arrangement is kind of conservative, but I think it's enough of an evolution and the style change is so unique. I would have loved to have heard a more liberal interpretation.

The pop at the end is really annoying on my Sony headphones. I don't have monitors/speakers available, so I'm not sure how bad it is on other monitoring situations?

NO for now, but please fix that click/pop noise and other suggestions are considered. I would love to give it a yes with some more polish.

• 4 weeks later...

This mix is good, there are just a couple issues preventing a yes vote for me.

First of all, the drums don't really gel with the rest of the mix. Whether the levels or eq needs changing, or a different drumset all together, the drums need some more work. The click on the end was quite a shock, that could have been easily muted out.

NO

Everyone's pretty much mentioned the drums, and with good reason too. They stick out like a sore thumb. A tad too loud, not EQed quite clearly enough, and they just sound... weird. I don't know exactly what it is. Might even be the samples/soundfont themselves/itself.

Very creative idea. This is way different from the original and the solo sections are cool. The arrangement is pretty good, but I do agree that it's just a little too short. Nice ending, though. However, what's with the big *SNAP* at the very end of the MP3? Kind of strange considering there isn't anything similar throughout the rest of the MP3. Not a big deal, but... meh.

All in all, I think the only things holding this back for me are the length and the mixing and mastering. A couple of the sounds are mediocre, but good enough if only the mixdown was better and the song itself was longer.

NO for now.