*NO* Ecco the Dolphin 'Aquamarine Ambience'

djpretzel

My first submission in almost 50 years! It's been so long, in fact, that I did not even submit it properly the first time! :)

Based on the Sega CD version of Ecco the Dolphin (completely different music than the cartridge versions), I used a rather "minimalist" approach to try to capture the somber mood from the game. It is not a note-for-note arrangement, but that's OK. I suppose I could add a few layers of sound effects like ocean water and whale/dolphin noise, but I don't think I wanna (plus I am too lazy).

Anyway try not to fall asleep while you listen.

The original musician is Spencer Nilsen.

i'll fall asleep whenever i damn well please.

as for the song,

i really really like the sound. it's great. moody, atmospheric. but for an atmospheric piece, this is WAY too short. it doesnt develop. that might sound strange when refering to an atmospheric piece, but it can happen, and it should. listen to CotMM. also, listen to Gas (a german ambient techno artist). you could have brought it up very subtly by adding randomesque noises, or a quiet ambient techno beat. or you could have just played around with the voicings for a few minutes.

in a song like this, variations are going to be subtle, so you can afford to experiment. i dont think this song should be any less than 6 minutes long.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see more and more ambient mixes and from Ecco no less. I'd love to pass this and get more music of this type on OC, but there's some issues here.

Great pads and production values. This definitely needs more layers though and perhaps a section with greater melodic accents. I like the gated pad in the beginning and the other effects going on throughout, like the left to right moving back and forth panned pad.

Awesome ideas here joe, however I think this mix is a bit unfulfilled. It feels like half a mix. I don't agree with mixes of this nature needing to be so long as a requirement, but certain ideas need to be expressed within that time frame. I don't think this accomplishes that.

No beat mixes are challenging, very unique and deserve credit. In lieu of that, more layers, instrumentation, different pad tones and noises would help here.

Very chill and cool, but lacking in enough departments to yes it. It feels like a WIP. Please work on this more as this could really be something great.

NO

Agreed on all counts. I know the Ecco games hardly had any melodic elements to begin with, but that's where original ideas come in! Keep this and use it as a foundation for more layering, more neato wow effects, more rhythmic-oriented intervals; just more. Let the mix end slowly and demurely instead of like a light switch. Really ambient sound like this should last long enough to space out to. Almost there!

NO