Podcast Themed Around Free VGM

justinj212

Hey all,

As it says in my sig, I host a weekly radio program on UMD's FM and online station, WMUC. The VGM-themed show (8-Bit Radio) has been a blast for me, and I don't really want to let it die when I graduate next month. However, I can no longer take safe haven under laws for school stations, laws that let me play whatever I want.

My solution? Start a new show featuring free VGM (original, remixes, covers, video game-related music, etc.). It would be a podcast, updated weekly and featuring about an hour and a half of music/talk/interviews/what have you.

The issue? I need to learn more about web hosting, and come to a decision about who to use there. I was thinking about using Square Space ($8 a month) to make a home page, and then use Amazon S3 ($0.10 per GB) to actually host the podcast. Does anyone have any experience with this, or other suggestions?

I also would like to have some sort of regular airing of the show on some VGM internet radio stations. If any of you know of some such stations and could give me contact info, I would really appreciate it. I'd also like to know how to get the show on ITunes' podcast directory.

Lastly, I need a name for the podcast. I was thinking "Radio Free VGM" but I'm not sold on it yet. Any ideas more creative than my own would be welcome.

I'll keep you all updated on it. Thanks!

I've been using SiteGround for webhosting since 2007, and they've been the best host I've ever had. In two years my site has been down once (for about 15 minutes), and $9.95 a month for unlimited bandwidth and webspace is practically a steal. I'd recommend them.

If you aren't interested in getting your own hosting, I can certainly provide a subdomain and unlimited free space at my site for your podcasts. Always happy to help out the VGM shows that spread the word about great music!